Sunday, August 20, 2023

Naked Chicken

As you might expect, we haven't been immersing ourselves in the joy of cooking, lately. It's pretty much been eating whatever is close to hand, and doncha know that cereal will do.

But we have a bbq, and we had chicken. Grilling for 20 minutes, ain't that hard, eh?

I fired up the barbie and then put the chicken on. I politely asked Siri to set a timer for 4 minutes and went into the house. After 4 minutes I went back out and turned the chicken over for another 4. By then there was a big cloud looming in the west. From what I could tell from my very modest cloud watching skills was that it was raining heavily over yonder.

I set the next turning of the chicken for 3 minutes, but I could see that getting the bird fully cooked before the rain came would be a close call.

And I was right! It was raining come time to go out again. 

Did I write raining? I mean pouring. The Brits would probably say, "It was really chucking it down." Have I ever mentioned how much I adore British English?

There was nothing for it but to grab something semi waterproof, in this case I chose my winter coat which was hanging in the closet. It also has a hoodie. 

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, so out went the intrepid cook.

Of course, the coat wasn’t really waterproofed. While it might repel snow or perhaps the lightest of drizzles, it did not stand a chance in a downpour that would have sent Noah scurrying to the ark.

But needs must, and out I went. I selected the fattest piece and cut it open in the deluge to see it it was done. This is what I do. If the thickest piece is properly cooked, they should all be done. You can see me checking it out, below.


I spotted Sue with the phone. I swear that I was not giving her the flinger.


Here, I was flippin the flipper. I did say flipper; I did not say bird.


Sue met me at the door to grab the utensils and sauce from me.


Off came my clothes right at the door. Have you ever eaten naked chicken? I mean, chicken nakedly?

Something or other that I have done must have really angered the gods this year. I won't rehash all of my troubles for the nth time, but you would really think that the deities would have at least permitted me to grill in peace for a mere 20 minutes. 

I would have thought  that would not too grand of an expectation. But I would have been wrong.

19 comments:

Boud said...

You must have done terrible things in a previous life. Look out for locusts.

Barbara Rogers said...

Such a tribulation to just cook outside...yep, there are definitely some rain gods waiting to pounce on you and your chicken! You look a bit like a wet cat standing there. Glad Sue recorded this in photos for posterity!

DJan said...

You definitely look very wet. Hope the chicken was good, though. :-)

RedPat said...

Murphy's law at work.

Margaret said...

It's always amazing to me how quickly the weather can change. I have only two jackets that are mostly waterproof in a deluge. Hope the chicken turned out tasty at least!

Vicki Lane said...

I admire your perseverance..

Marie Smith said...

Tomorrow will be better, AC! You got’er done though.

peppylady (Dora) said...

We could use some of that rain.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

roentare said...

That looks like a hazardous cooking process

The Furry Gnome said...

So did you get the chicken cooked?

Joanne Noragon said...

I hope the chicken was cooked outside. Finished inside?

Debby said...

Now, it may have been wrong, but this made me laugh! You sound like yourself again.

DrumMajor said...

Just gotta wonder....if the chicken was hot off the grill, did you drop any in your "lap?" Linda in Kansas

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks, John, for an early morning 😀chuckle both for this post title and the story about grilling in the rain...and the aftermath as well. I hope that you and Sue enjoyed that grilled chicken meal.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Oh dear. Life's not fair and I promise that the Almighty is not out to get you, but barbecued chicken goes a long way towards making all well again. Down here in Dixie we'd call that kind of precipitation a frog strangler. Or you could have said to Sue: Lord willing and the creek don't rise, we shall be enjoying BBQ chicken soon, my love. Hahaha xoxo

William Kendall said...

Hopefully it tasted good.

Jenn Jilks said...

So sorry. My SIL BBQ'd for us. Happily it didn't rain, but all of us cook in the rain! We're not made of sugar, heaven knows.

MARY G said...

Funny, actually. I do hope you were allowed a towel before you ate. But, yeah, you must have one of the hundred little godlets angry at you. For sure.

Jeanie said...

Gotta love Sue with the camera when you are getting soaked! Rick missed that for the most part but in Michigan I was driving through it toward the lake and it was the worst drive ever. More rain is due for tomorrow's road trip -- and I'm not looking forward to it.