Wednesday, August 02, 2023

Outtakes and Reflections

Alrighty, I am revisiting the fireworks just one more time. Sue took a lot of firework photos too, but she couldn't set up her tripod and, therefore, was not overjoyed with the results.

However, while I was totally focused on setting up the tripod and camera (yes, I did resort to questionable language a few times while fumbling in the dark to set everything up whilst being swarmed by mosquitoes), Sue took some other photos.

There were photographers already present when we arrived. Sue spoke to them while I was setting up. I don't think they were overly friendly. Mind you, neither was I, for I didn't speak to them at all. At first, I was busy setting up, and then there were the fireworks. 

The almost full moon lay beyond poking through the clouds
beyond the other photographers..

Milady's phone really picked up the near light reflections in the river. They stood out more in the photo than in reality. Phones do what they do, and they make it look good doing it, but they do tend to take over and do things in their own way. If I were to emphasize those lights like that in my photos, people might accuse me of photoshopping . . . and I probably would be.


I appear to be just about ready for the fireworks.


My final fireworks photos for you will be ones that have some reflections. They are nice enough, but the problem is all of the negative dark space between the fireworks and their reflections. I think they are worth posting, though.





I will be tempted to shoot tighter to town hall next time and ignore the river. However, all bets are off if they get those confounded bridge lights working again.

Finally, may I add that I prefer showing fireworks in context, which is one reason that I keep going back to the same location. Some people just shoot the fireworks, and they get great results, but I don't prefer to do it that way. I feel the same way about photographing the moon. While I appreciate seeing close up photos of the moon, I would rather get something of my surroundings in the composition. Chacun à son goût.


17 comments:

Tabor said...

I like the fireworks in context better. I think that a number of people have successfully figured out how to capture the fireworks but are not good at composition.

DJan said...

Not bad. I really like that last shot!

Marcia said...

I too like the last one best! Well done.

Barbara Rogers said...

Those latter ones are very pleasing. Yes, context does help, rather than just the burst in the sky!

RedPat said...

I like your compositions. I like the reflection shots.

Debby said...

I like the first two pictures the very best. The reflections are wonderful!

gigi-hawaii said...

Those first two iPhone photos are so beautiful. Very artistic and worth framing and hanging up on your wall. I love the moodiness.

Marie Smith said...

In context is my favourite too. I love that first photo!

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, that first one is gorgeous! Full of mystery...

roentare said...

Tripod is essential for this sort of work. It takes a bit of tuning to get the exposure right too

Catalyst said...

I love the last photo. And Sue's are good as well.

Joanne Noragon said...

Definitely worth posting!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I agree with you, John, in also preferring to see something in context. The fireworks are lovely in and of themselves, but showing town hall in the image really makes them even more impressive.

Jenn Jilks said...

I like your treatment of the event. Good job.

Liz Hinds said...

You take such great photos!

Margaret said...

Ton goût est aussi mon goût. Je suis d'accord avec toi.
Love the backgrounds and the reflections.

William Kendall said...

Dazzling.