Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Ten Minutes at the Park

Yesterday morning was coffee time for the three photography amigos. We do this every second or third week. 

I had a little errand to run before the meetup and then I had some time to kill between the two events. With a little time to kill, I dropped by the park for ten minutes and took a couple of phone snaps. With less than two weeks to go before another school year begins, the kids were out with their water craft. I waited for two girls to frame themselves under the arc of the tree on their SUP (Stand Up Paddle Board).

In a slightly different location, I took a photo of a bunch of paddlers beyond a clump of grasses. I deliberately used the grasses to add depth and interest.

Then, I  took a short video to try to capture the flavour of this halcyon summer day. The kids are all paddling from the canoe club from somewhere off to our right of these photos. It is a venerable old canoe club, the oldest continuously operating one in the nation.


As I was making my way back to the car, I happened to look down only to witness a very sad sight — coloured leaves on the ground. This imperfect, fuzzy  photo shows that autumn is impending.


16 comments:

Margaret said...

Yep, I saw red leaves in trees on my walk--already! Those are beautiful photos and excellently framed. You have such a great eye!

Red said...

The cherished last days before school starts.

roentare said...

Surreal and peaceful shots.

Joanne Noragon said...

Great photography, as usual. Good of you to explain the photographic principals involved: framing, for example, and use of foreground items to define the picture.

The Furry Gnome said...

Enjoyed that video, the action of a hot summer day!

Marie Smith said...

Oh those leaves! Such a sad sight! Our neighbour’s maple is changing colour already! In some ways, we are still waiting for summer.

Debby said...

I love that tree. I believe I have seen it in previous pictures. It's hard to believe that autumn is upon us. If feels like summer raced by.

Marcia said...

It was a beautiful day here too marred only for me with after effects from the Covid booster shot yesterday. Feeling better now, thankfully but have had a morning and afternoon nap which is highly unusual for me.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Bittersweet.

NGS said...

Lovely photo of the paddle boarders! You're definitely a patient photographer and it shows.

Barbara Rogers said...

I love how the phone cameras are so good at detail especially in sunlit views. These are all vivid photos. And yes, there may yet be autumn ahead. Can hardly wait!

MARY G said...

Best days of the year. And your first shot is epic.

RedPat said...

Those leaves are scary indeed!

Jenn Jilks said...

The seasons unfold as they should!

William Kendall said...

I've seen some fall colours that trees I'm familiar with tend to be the first to change.

Jeanie said...

That arched branch is really beautiful and I love the photo. I'm seeing some of that red leafy fall stuff too and I don't like it! (Yet.)