Monday, August 07, 2023

Zoning and Washing

Sunday is being a knackered sort of day for both of us here in Anvilcloudia.

Sue tried to sleep in bed last night but gave up at 1 o'clock. She had gotten up and was then  finding it difficult to get back into our high bed. Frankly, it's a bit of a process when healthy, but now with her stomach muscles being rendered akin to useless, it is almost impossible for her. Besides, she could hardly move in bed anyway.

She went back down to her chair which she can control, electronically: no pushing or pulling to recline or vice versa. But she doesn't normally sleep on back, so she's more than a little sleep deprived.

I wasn't aware of her leaving the bed but noticed that she was gone when I did my trip to the loo at 2:30. Then I fussed about whether I should go down to check on her. I compromised by looking over the railing where I could see that she was safely ensconced under a blanket.

I struggled a little to get back to sleep, and then I was up again at 4;30. That would have given me about 5 hours of sleep, and that much rest usually prevents me from getting back to sleep. I hate it, but that's my lot in life and my cross to bear.

After making my coffee, I took myself down to Sue, but neither of us were exactly perky.

During the morning I did try to listen to a podcast. I was in my chair, and I kept drifting off and coming too suddenly because that is the only time I snore — on my back on the chair. If only I didn't snore, I might get some decent rest in the chair, but I do snore in that position and, therefore, jerk myself awake incessantly. It's maddening I tells ya.

Speaking of almost sleeping, Shauna grabbed this picture of me almost sleeping on my cane in the hospital on the day after surgery whilst we were waiting for discharge.

I call this zoning. I hover in and out between sleep and wakefulness. I often see faces and people in that state, but they are very rarely anyone whom I know. My brain simply seems to conjure them from the ether. They are very interesting, and there are times when I would like to hold on to them and have a good look, but they fade away within seconds. I had several visions, one being some sort of dark, spectral shape, but oddly enough not a scary figure. I would have loved to have had a good look, but it was soon gone, never to return.

Back to today, Sunday.

I am learning to do the wash: how to sort clothes and how to insert them in the washer and what soap to use for what load. Then I follow Milady's directions about what to to hang and what dry and for how long and so on and so forth.

It's not that I have never done laundry but not much and not for a very long time. When I did it back in uni, I just jammed all sorts of stuff in the washer. Consequently, I got a rash adjacent to a very private area. When I went to see the doctor he informed me that it was a laundry rash, more commonly seen in the army.

But I am educable, and laundry is something that I should lean how to do properly in case there is any sort of malady or trip that takes Sue away for more than a day. Otherwise, I can cook and look after things, but keeping clothes laundered is something that is rather important.

As you can tell. we are fumbling along and getting along through the latest trial of the year.

On a parting note, this ↓ amused me. Sue's room was at the end of a long hallway, actually the end of a second long hallway. There was an emergency stairway next to her room. Look at what the sing says. I've added it as a caption.

As Per Fire Ans Safety Regulations.
Please so do obstruct this space with belongings, equipment etc.
Keep this space clear of any items.
Thank you.


21 comments:

Norma said...

My goodness, AC. I haven't visited in more than a year if I recall, and I find your lives in a bit of chaos--surgeries, pain, can't sleep. I'm so very sorry. I had my appendix out when I was 34, and it's no picnic. And UTIs are no fun either. You both are in my prayers. May your large fan base lift your spirits.

DJan said...

Anvilcloudia? I am really impressed by your cleverness. :-)

Boud said...

I had my appendix removed in the course of an unrelated major surgery, and the recovery got blurred in with the general excitement. My doctor wanted to be sure I wouldn't need another abdominal surgery for a long time. Seems to have worked. But other surgeries have alerted me to that inability to get up and down with no ab strength. No picnic. Pique-nique to bilingual Canadians

roentare said...

I am single for most of my life. Doing these chores is kind of Zen sometimes. Just do what we are required to do.

Marie Smith said...

You both have had a rough year. I hope this second part takes a turn for the better, AC.

Joanne Noragon said...

Chin up and carry on.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sleep deprivation is not a good thing, but then as you said it is what it is and hope that both you and Sue can rest a bit more easily in days to come. Nice to read that you are helping with the household chores and Grenville would do the same if I were incapacitated. As with Sue, I am the laundry person in this household.

PipeTobacco said...

Wow!!! I did not see yesterday’s post until now, so I am sorry for not commenting.

Although it is very sad and rough Sue had to have the emergency appendectomy…. I am glad it was caught and dealt with quickly!!!!

Hopefully, her discomfort in her surgery site will be short in duration. I cannot remember from the previous post, but I presume it was laparoscopic…. at least I hope so…. that will allow a much more rapid healing.

Keeping both of you in my thoughts!!!!

PipeTobacco

Margaret said...

Good job, AC!! I can do most things around the house by necessity, but I have made some rather large mistakes--usually when I try to fix anything. I hope Sue will soon be able to sleep normally; it's so painful to be recovering from surgery and also sleep deprived. :(

Ed said...

I would still wash my clothes the same way you did at the university which is why my wife goes to great lengths to prevent me from being anywhere near the laundry.

Vicki Lane said...

I know of a woman whose approach to laundry was so haphazard that her meticulous husband revoked her laundry privileges. That marriage didn't last much longer.

Barbara Rogers said...

When I had my own laundry machines I was much more particular with which clothes got which everything. Now using machines share by others, I'm lucky to remember to separate the whites from darks at all. Hope you and Sue keep on healing, and can get back to your usual activities.

NGS said...

I will admit that the laundry situation is why my husband and I honestly do most chores together. He could do laundry on his own and I could (probably) safely mow the lawn on my own, although neither of us would LIKE to do so. But I broke my leg fairly early in our marriage and we learned quickly that sometimes one person would have to take the lead on ALL adulting chores.

Sending you both good sleep vibes. Fingers crossed this all sorts itself out ASAP.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Anvilcloudia is a place more than worthy of Anvilcleverclogs and Mrs. Anvilcleverclogs, if you ask me. Sorry to hear that Sue is still semi-miserable but surely she will be her well self again very soon. Terrible not to be able to turn and snuggle in your own bed just the way you want! I hate that for her but it is temporary. Good on you for figuring out all the laundry things. That is huge. I am somewhat concerned about you zoning out while standing up straight, albeit leaning on a cane. I don't want to see you keel over so mind how you go! xoxo

William Kendall said...

Washing is part of my weekly routine, but I never seem to get around to folding.

RedPat said...

I hope Sue heals soon. Sleeping in a chair wouldn't be a good sleep for me.

PipeTobacco said...

I am hoping things are going well for both of you….since you usually post most Tuesdays, I am hoping you are just happily busy.

PipeTobacco

Granny Sue said...

Oh dear. I had the same issue with our high bed. Very painful trying to get in and out, but I managed. I tried to get my husband to build me a small step, but what he came up with was much too tall and unsteady. Tell Sue I feel for her. After a week, I am almost back to normal, so I will pray that she will find the same true for her.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a shame!
I hope it all goes well. I can almost walk!

Jenny Woolf said...

I get those hallucinatory things when I am very sleep deprived too. And like you I find them interesting. They're a little bit like a lucid dream. Do you ever have those? I am glad your sense of humour is still operational. That notice - ! We saw one in Ireland which I wish I had photographed now. It said, DANGER - CO-OP STORE. (The Co Op is a chain of supermarkets). It was actually warning of traffic coming out of a concealed entrance but I did have to smile.

MARY G said...

I have given up, trying to educate my man about laundry... If he wants to put black shorts and white tees in together, it’s his grey that will result. That you are listening to Sue is greatly to her credit.