Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Sue's Summer Shoot

Just about my only photography this summer has been Sue's photography. That is when she requires me to be her living tripod. I hold the phone and she decides the rest: where she shall stand, how she shall  pose, and where I I will stand and click.

Her group requires a photo from the same spot in all seasons. She has done both winter and spring from a spot in the park, and yesterday, it was time for the summer shoot.

She got dolled-up (another dad phrase, I think) and off we drove.

After finding our spot with the bench between two trees, we set to work. She is pretty small in this ↓ first image. In the initial winter photo, due to snow, she had to stand near to where I am taking the photo, so she looked larger.


We experimented with different angles and postures and moved her forward a bit (in the first two photos) to render her larger.




Due to the lighting, the photos weren't terrific. She was in shadow and there was distracting brightness here and there. Believe it or not, I actually brightened her in those ↑ pictures. The shoot would probably work better on a more overcast day.

Finally, I took another photo for another purpose, and this one turned out best in my almost worthless opinion — better but not perfect due to the lighting.


Maybe someday, I use my camera for some purpose or other. I did port it to this shoot, but it stayed in the car. With the lighting, it wouldn't have done any better in this case.

15 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Great photos of Sue. I like the 2nd photo & envy her, her parsol. I take photos of my garden in the same spot every month & it is nice to see the comparison of change.

Your post from the other day about the phrase "feeling punky" started a long conversion of common expressions or phrases we heard our parents use/say. :)

MARY G said...

Yeah… sun and shade mix makes an almost impossible clean colour record. I'm have tried using a defect or, and that does help, but it is another piece of gear to lug around.
And… all dolled up? My family used that a lot. Lovely phrase.
And Sue looked lovely, in spite of the dapple.

MARY G said...

Deflector. Sigh.

Anvilcloud said...

@Mary: I could use a fill flash, but not with the phone, and I dislike the flash anyway. I know about deflectors, but don't want the extra paraphernalia. I'm a lazy sorta dude. :)

Marie Smith said...

I like the photos, AC. Lighting is a photographer’s nemesis though.

Vicki Lane said...

Love the pics! The umbrella adds so much.

Barbara Rogers said...

Such a lady! Enjoying the summer! Second to last is my fav...but all are winners.

gigi-hawaii said...

I like the first photo b/c of the landscape (the beautiful trees and the boat). I like the 2nd photo because the focus is now on Sue. The last photo is not that interesting because there is no boat in the river. But pretty colors.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Well Sue looks fantastic and not for nothing but dolled-up is legit. Nothing dad about that. Although I will say, when I was growing up my mama preferred "prettied up." She was forever getting prettied up and then going somewhere. Love the hot pink parasol. xoxo

RedPat said...

Sue looks quite glamorous in all of these.

Margaret said...

I love all these photos--Sue is striking! I find that the shadows add to the ambiance.

DJan said...

I like that first summer photo, the boat is perfectly placed and Sue looks great.

Jenn Jilks said...

Sue is the fashionista!
I love the boat going by behind her!
These are lovely photos!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

So nice to see that Sue is up and about and doing her photo shoots, which all looked lovely. I do agree with you that the last shot was perhaps the best of the group, not to take anything away from the lovely and doll-up Sue.

William Kendall said...

Wonderful shots.