Tuesday, May 30, 2023

The Penny Has Dropped

I don't know about you, but with my brain, it can take a long time for the penny to drop. I am a pretty good learner, but I am not a quick learner. It seems that things have to stew and mash in my brain for awhile before I truly grasp ideas or even simple directions.

For quite awhile now, I have switched from the computer to my tablet to do light, online stuff. For one thing, my computer is a desktop, so it is simply not as comfortable a situation as being in my recliner. I think I began to transition sometime after I began playing Sudoku regularly, which I play from an app on my tablet  

Except for this morning, I don’t write blog posts  from the tablet because I am usually inserting photos, and they are stored on my computer.

What was I saying? Oh yeah, I can be a little slow on the uptake. I mean, I get there, but in my own sweet time.

So, it is only recently that the penny dropped, and I realized that I can comment on posts by voice from my tablet. The advantage is not so much that it is faster, which it is, but that it is more accurate. Yes, typos are still made but not as many as from my typing. Or so it seems. It is like I make more mistakes typing a pithy comment than I do when writing a whole post such as this. It must be a concentration issue.

That’s all really. I just wanted to say that I am beginning to comment by voice, and I don’t know why it didn’t dawn on me a lot earlier that this is an option. I am wondering if you also do this at all, and why or why not? And would you ever do a full blog using voice recognition? I don’t think that I ever would.

Perhaps, it is like a fad, and I won’t continue doing it this way. Who knows? The technology is interesting though and works very well.

26 comments:

DJan said...

No, I have never done that. But I write on my laptop, which sits in my lap just right, wherever I am. I might try it sometime, though.

Barbara Rogers said...

My favorite use of voice is texting. Since that's on the phone with tiny keypad, it makes it much easier to get what I want to say to my friends. Of course I can't reply "C" to confirm Dr. appointments. And when I'm around other people talking it picks up their words too and makes a garbled mess of things. But why not try talking through a blog? Give it a try.

Debby said...

My grandson does all his texting by voice. I like to type. My fingers really stumble around on a tablet. It is worse on my phone. I'll stick to my desktop. It's an old one. Used to belong to scholarly brontosaurus. She passed it on to me.

Debby said...

My grandson does all his texting by voice. I like to type. My fingers stumble around on a tablet. It is even worse on my phone. So I stick to my old desk top. It was bequeathed to me by a scholarly brontosaurus right before she sadly went extinct.

William Kendall said...

My phone can do that, but I prefer using the phone keyboard.

Liz Hinds said...

I'm confused and I don't have a catheter. I didn't know you could talk to posts on a tablet. (I mean, when you think about it, how ridiculous does that sentence sound?) I shall have to investigate.
Pants in Wales are the underwear variety.

NGS said...

Commenting by voice is such a smart idea! I am younger than you, but actually struggle to use our tablet (I am a PC girl and we have an Ipad and I honestly don't understand how to use the interface). Maybe this clever idea will be the thing that gets me to try to figure out how to use it better.

Margaret said...

My phone doesn't understand me very well and when I try to do emails via voice, the message shows, but when I send it, it shows up blank to the recipient. So I'm hesitant about voice to text. However, I think that whatever works is great!

Jenn Jilks said...

This is a great idea. With out new iPhone I've been playing with voice to text. It was all the rage when I was teaching, for Sp.Ed. students, but teachers didn't always learn it. Steep learning curve!
Good post!

RedPat said...

I'm a luddite so have no voice recognition anywhere and wouldn't know how to use it.

Marie Smith said...

I use a IPad for my blog but not the voice to text. Maybe one day…

roentare said...

I am similar. I had to allow things to gel a bit before I can get the juice of it. It is becoming more and more prominent as transitioning into middle age.

PipeTobacco said...

I tend to not use voice as I do not like it’s punctuation choices (or lack of said, most of the time). I do typing for text messages as well, to try to be grammatically correct. My wife loves voice typing.

PipeTobacco

Ed said...

The penny just dropped for me. I’ll have to check it out.

Red said...

I will check on this. I might have to consult with you!

gigi-hawaii said...

I don't enunciate well, so the words would come out garbled. I prefer to type on my desktop.

MARY G said...

Interesting! My daughter uses voice for a lot of things and there are some pretty funny errors. The best though was a note from one of my brother in law's friends who addressed a not to Jim starting "Dear Gymn ..." You have to watch it, eh.

Haddock said...

Great.Like you said, it takes some time to digest things.
I post my blogs from my desktop as it is easy to edit and upload pics.

Marcia said...

Voice comments? Way beyond my capability.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I post my blog from a lap-top
Coffee is on and stay safe.

Blondi Blathers said...

I didn't even know it was possible. Wow.

I don't retain a lot of new skills anymore unless I do them myself. A demonstration doesn't do the trick.

-Kate

The Furry Gnome said...

That might be something I should try!

DB Stewart said...

Relatable.

Judy from Maine said...

Hope you are ok. Missing reading your blog.
Good wishes.

PipeTobacco said...

Hoping things are still going ok with the catheter situation.

PipeTobacco

Kay said...

I also have to write my posts from my computer so I can fix photos and organize them. Problem with my iPad is that my comments always come out as Anonymous. I often forget to say it's from Kay of Musings. Sigh...