Friday, June 02, 2023

Sweats and Leakages

Last night marked the eighth consecutive night that I have slept (if I can call it that) with the catheter. I have five more to go with this catheter and more after a new catheter is installed post-surgery. I expect that will entail six more nights.

It was my best night, though, for it was the first one that didn't require me to get up in search of a new top after soaking through the shirt that I had worn to bed. Yes, I have been experiencing night sweats. This is not unknown to me, but enduring them night after night is new. I discovered that stumbling around in the middle of the night in search of a clean top while hauling a catheter is not a ton of fun. Last night, I was finally prepared with an alternate shirt by my side. Of course, that was the night that I didn't need it. This is how my life unfolds.

In case you don't know, I wear a daytime catheter strapped to the leg, but before bedtime, we switch to the larger nighttime bag*, which we attach to a frame by the bed. This morning there was more than a litre/quart in there. Aside from the larger capacity, it has a longer tube that allows me at least a certain ability to squirm about in search of a comfortable less uncomfortable position. 

We had some trouble with the the initial night bag. The tube attaching it to the actual catheter detached more than once, and there were spills here and there — some in the bed and at least one in my chair. Sigh.

Shauna came to the rescue and found one at her work. She brought it over, and it attaches much more securely, thank goodness. A nurse from her work also dropped in yesterday to make sure that all was well. Fortunately, it was well by then.

Meanwhile, the day bag allows me some sort of mobility. Yesterday, we got to our weekly coffee date, and I have managed to do a wee bit of shopping of the quick in-and-out variety. I would not want to do a regular and more lengthy grocery shopping, so we have reverted to ordering online and picking it up. 

While I appreciate the daytime mobility that I am afforded, there is a certain amount of pulling you-know-where when I walk about, so I tend to keep my excursions brief.

*Aside from the extra volume afforded by the night bag, it is important to keep the bag lower than the body. Having a bag attached to the leg would by problematic with them both on a similar plane.

22 comments:

William Kendall said...

What a headache.

DJan said...

Following your travails with hope for better days ahead.

Marie Smith said...

AC, I hope these days with the catheter are over in the foreseeable future and you can take on the world again without that drain attached. Take care!

Vicki Lane said...

What an annoyance! I hope all is resolved soon.

gigi-hawaii said...

There seems to be a solution for everything. I am glad you have Sue and Shauna to assist you.

Boud said...

So much management required. I'm looking forward to when you're back to operating the usual way. No doubt you are, too!

Barbara Rogers said...

Well, perhaps you could start photographing some bokeh artistic pieces inside...without much bending or walking. Let's see, how about sitting, and giving us close-ups of what's up or down or around that gives designs you like. Just a suggestion to get you back behind the lens while tethered to catheters.

Marcia said...

The trials of aging. You are documenting them well. Hope your grands are paying attention to what they have to look forward to.

I'm 2 months out from thumb surgery and still healing. My problem is trying to do a little too much with right hand. Two fingers are rebelling by swelling. No fun.

RedPat said...

It is lucky that Shauna has good contacts.

Margaret said...

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this, but you have a great attitude. Even though it's temporary, it probably feels like forever. :( I would be a grouchy mess!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

No fun at all. Heres to better days!

Damselfly said...

So glad to see you post today! Sorry you've had some uncomfortable times lately and am hoping all will be well soon.

Celia said...

Sounds like a real pain. I hope you continue to heal and can get this all behind you soon. Hugs and good wishes.

Joanne Noragon said...

We need you back to normal asap.

MARY G said...

I had to help my father deal with this issue. Sending heartfelt sympathy.

Kay said...

Oh John... I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I hope it all gets better really really soon so you don't have to deal with this anymore.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

After reading this post and the previous ones detailing your latest medical “adventures” John, there is little to add to the comments, other than to wish you better days ahead that will leave you untethered.

PipeTobacco said...

Wishing for a rapid and permanent change for your output once the surgery is complete! Your current catheter need allows you to drain…. but drains your energy too.

It will be so wonderful for you to have the return to normalcy!!!!

Jenn Jilks said...

What a pain in the, um, arse!
I wish you well on your journey through this one. JB couldn't empty his catheter bag, due to back issue, when he had his surgery. I found it very difficult. He loathed asking for help, too.

roentare said...

If you get night sweat, it would be very likely catheter related sepsis. In 24 hours of having a catheter in situ, staph would colonise the entire device. It is best to get infection excluded by having an urine specimen collected sent for culture and analysed. Other causes for the sweat include cystitis, latex allergy or traumatised catheter insertion by whoever put it in roughly.

Jeanie said...

I'm sure you are counting down the days. The catheter sounds miserable and a huge bother. Hopefully all will be resolved soon.

NGS said...

Ugh. How annoying and inconvenient. Fingers crossed this is just a temporary blip!