Tuesday, May 09, 2023

Sunday Shooting

I had a photo in mind when I went to bed on Saturday night, but it wasn't this one.


I took it from the bedroom window upon awakening at 6:30, thus also awakening Sue as a fumbled with the camera. I had grabbed my older camera because it was closer to hand and my telephoto lens was already attached. But it isn't the camera that I am most familiar with now, and trying to figure it all out in my morning stupor was problematic. Oh well, I got something.

After getting my coffee fix, I did head out to get the photo that I had had in mind since the day before. I had seen this possible composition on the previous day, but the sun had been in the wrong place and the light wasn't good. While it didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped on Sunday morning, I think it was worth the effort.


I had been anxious to get that photo soon while the skeleton of the tree was quite noticeable before the leaves would fully emerge.

The light and reflections highlighted some other trees, so I took a few other photos looking across our Mississippi. This one seemed to work best in mono as a bit of an abstract. I do like the textures. 


I turned and looked along the riverbank instead of across and liked the shape and reflections. The water is fairly high after the recent rain. As the water level subsides, there soon won't be as much of a reflection. I should try it again next year during high water season when the river may run even higher, making the reflection fuller.


I thought that I saw a goose moving about but didn't think much of it when I zoomed in more and took a closer photo. When I peered on the monitor at home later, I was surprised to see that it was a raccoon and not a goose..


If I known at the time that it was a raccoon, I would have likely tried to get closer still.


17 comments:

DJan said...

Definitely a raccoon. You are certainly a dedicated photographer, getting up in the middle of the night like that. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

The last two shots are really stunning...must be the racoon! No, I like the partial grass area as well as reflections...a nice feeling of different textures.

MARY G said...

I like the colour mix in the racoon shot - the reflection is a bit busy for my taste, but it is a fine composition.

Ed said...

A racoon just washing his food. Not something you see very often in daylight hours!

Boud said...

The b and w is a very nice composition, great cropping at the bottom edge, which powers the whole image.

William Kendall said...

I got a moon shot some nights ago while on a long walk, but it may be awhile before I publish.

Margaret said...

I love all the reflection shots, especially of the tree leaning over the water. Goose versus raccoon! I once thought a possum was my cat. There was some shrieking involved and cataract surgery soon after that.

RedPat said...

I would say that was a successful photo shoot.

Marie Smith said...

Love the accidental raccoon shot! Great light in those coloured photos!

Granny Sue said...

1, 2, and 4 are my favorites, just beautiful. I remember when I was younger, staying up almost all night during a full moon, just to glory in the magical light. Ah, youth.

The Furry Gnome said...

I enjoy those reflections of tree trunks.

Jeanie said...

I've been away a few days and there's much to catch up on so I'll leave one big comment here. First, these views are beautiful -- so is the moon, but I know what you mean about the frustration of the wrong camera! And your Saturday cruisin' night sounds like fun. But mostly, I'm concerned about your upcoming procedure and hope the wait till June doesn't feel too unbearable. It certainly doesn't sound like a fun procedure. All good wishes -- and thank for a very good recounting of it. Stuff like that fascinates me but I also know it's a big deal.

Red said...

That is an awesome photo. It's a winner.

Joanne Noragon said...

The B&W is a good shot, as is the last raccoon.

Jenn Jilks said...

These are lovely. The water is so high.

Bindu said...

So you got photo bombed by a raccoon!

Kay said...

Now that's something you wouldn't see in Hawaii.