Saturday, May 20, 2023

We Can Now All Go to the Bathroom Again

One of the things I kid about is that, after a long winter, Ontarians will finally be able to go to the bathroom again. Phew!

It's my little dad joke, but I am specifically referring to those rest stop conveniences along rural roads. They close after Thanksgiving weekend in October and stay shut up until this long, Victoria Day. weekend.

Many things, such as this rural museum, only open again on this weekend.

Provincial parks open their gates, as does our local famers market, as well as most food trucks that have delayed until now.

Those who have cottages may choose this weekend to open them for the season, and many people will head to their local nurseries to purchase their bedding plants and perennials. Indeed, the general rule of thumb is that nurseries will not guarantee their stock before this weekend. If you purchase flowers earlier and lose them to frost, it's all on you. Indeed, we did have frost twice this week,

But it's raining out, so Amma and Buppa Anvilcloud will stay home. Bike rides and flowers can wait until next week . . . or longer.

PS: I should add that it is somewhat ironical that most businesses will close on the actual Victoria Day, which is on Monday, for it is a statutory holiday. 

15 comments:

Marcia said...

I imagine Halifax would have been a lot busier if we'd plan to travel next week.

I'm waiting on getting the annuals to plant too but one reason is my limited capacity to use the right hand.

As to meal prices in Halifax, the exchange rate was in our favor so we found the prices lower than here.

Barbara Rogers said...

Avilability of bathroom facilities on country roads is probably a Canadian thing. We only have little stores or gas stations that have been available, that I have run into in my travels. But then I may not have been on enough of our country roads, since I have zipped along between cities on interstates, with exits providing fast food restaurants about half the time, my choice of cleanest bathrooms away from home.

Tom said...

Good going!

RedPat said...

It would be cold at a cottage today. I put on a light winter coat this morning.

Kay said...

I remember not planting much until toward the end of April or May in Chicago. Here in Hawaii... it doesn't matter, of course.

Margaret said...

In honor of Canada, I bought my annuals yesterday. A rule of thumb around here is to plant on Mother's Day or after since we do have surprise frosts some years. Then there's this May with temps way above normal.

William Kendall said...

The odd local museum in the city opens up today as well.

Jeanie said...

It IS nice to see the world opening up. Rick is at the lake, opening the cottage, doing his "cabin boy" duties. I'm glad. I hate those!

roentare said...

Funny that this is the place to pee during outing

Red said...

Send some of the cool rainy weather this direction. We'd love it.

Joanne Noragon said...

In Peninsula we buy the water for toilets and washing machines, and so forth, from a water hauler. Most businesses have posted "No public toilets."

peppylady (Dora) said...

Our farmer market open the last Saturday In April.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

Jenn Jilks said...

People in warmer climes don't get it! I love the changes in seasons.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It is indeed to find not only bathrooms available again in public places, but water fountains which were often taped over or labeled "out of order" to prohibit use. Holiday weekends we prefer to stay close to home because there are too many others out and about. Going on a road trip the weekend after a holiday is more to our liking.

MARY G said...

You know what two beautiful days produce here in the Highlands? Yep. Bugville up here. I am wearing my bugproof hat as I race from the house to the garage.