Saturday, July 16, 2022

Trial, Error and Moderate Success

I left off my previous post with mutterings about a tie-in with a post yet to come. This is that post..

On my drive home from the Fourth Pond Visit on Sunday, I noticed in the rearview mirror that the sun was rising directly behind me over the centre of the road.

I thought it would make a good photo opportunity, but both Monday and Tuesday didn't have a sunrise, if you know what I mean.

Wednesday looked promising, so I set out shortly after five o'clock. That would have been a little late if I hadn't known where I was going and that I just wanted to photograph the rising sun at 5:30 and not one of my more typical pre-sunrise photos.

I set up the camera and took a preliminary photo while waiting to see Ole Sol.


Unfortunately, at 5:30 there is traffic, even on a semi-rural road, and I kept having to move my camera over to the shoulder. Therefore, each subsequent  photo will have a slightly different composition. You can see the beginning of the rising in the next picture.


 The sun is really beginning to be noticeable, below.


Sol was just about getting to the perfect position over the very centre of the road, but that's when a whole procession of cars came by from both directions, and I had to scat. The sun moves quickly, so I missed the perfectly centered photo that I most wanted.

There was a problem with the above photos anyway: one that I will try to learn from should I ever try this composition again. In my attempt to emphasize the road, I used a wide angle setting, which rendered the sun rather small.

Whilst I waited for the cavalcade to pass, I re-oriented that camera to experiment with some alternate photos from the side of the road . Then, I rushed back to middle, but I still had to shoot quickly because another car was coming from behind but still a distance off (I wasn't being reckless!). With the camera now in landscape orientation, I just snapped the photo and headed off to the safety of the shoulder once again.


The above photo is a pretty decent result although the sun isn't exactly where I wanted it to be.

I may try this again on a weekend when traffic is lighter. Maybe I will get the exact photo that I want then. We shall see.

However, I am still happy enough with the last photo if that is all that I ever get in this spot. I enjoy the process of getting out there all on my lonesome and attempting to be a little bit creative, which is something that doesn't come naturally to me.

17 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I appreciate your hard work!
I am always shocked at the early morning traffic, but road crews begin at 7, and commuters, I guess.
(ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

Marcia said...

Living a bit dangerously I think, to get that perfect shot!

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad you knew you could scat across the road with tripod and camera when you knew cars were coming!

Vicki Lane said...

You are persistent! And we get to enjoy the results. Well done!

Marie Smith said...

Experimenting with the camera is interesting! Great result!

Should Fish More said...

A once-photographer, I think your work is great!

MARY G said...

You really, really need a flagman. Or, actually, two. And, yes, the last shot is 99.9%. But I can just see the headline,
'Local Photographer Squashed on Highway 15'.
Oh dear.

... said...

Great photos

William Kendall said...

Of course it won't take long for its relative position on the horizon to change.

RedPat said...

Scary but gorgeous shots.

Mage said...

Just don't get run over.

Joanne Noragon said...

Those are all pretty good, but not what you wanted, and what you wanted is what you should bet. Do photographers ever admit the perfect photo was just a moment of pure luck, and even then there would be something to complain of.

Red said...

Try more remote road that has less traffic.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I believe last one is best.
Coffee is on and stay safe

DrumMajor said...

Totally cool. Can you just enlarge the middle one to get the sun right on the center lines? Please don't let yourself or the camera get smashed in the process. Maybe you need a traffic assistant. Linda in Kansas

Margaret said...

I love that last photo and how the sun is glinting off the road.

Jeanie said...

Interesting about the perspective and wide angle -- you early riser, you!