Sunday, July 03, 2022

Celtfest but not for Me

Celtfest is back this weekend, but we are not back at Celtfest. After two years of COVID cancellation, you'd think that we would be back with bells on, as it were, but the times they a'chagin.

In all of the years when we attended Celtfest , we would make a day of it, actually a whole weekend. We'd take chairs, food, cameras and whatnot. During the long days and nights, we'd sometimes move our chairs, trying to avoid too much hot sun.

Our mobility and stamina have decreased over the past three years, and we don't feel like we want to do all of that this year or even can do it – at least not easily. Besides that, the acts are, perhaps, not quite up to the standards of some of the recent years.

Oh, we could lessen the load and sit up on the hill under the shade with the other old folk, but that is quite a distance from the stage and leaves me feeling somewhat on the periphery of the action. It feels almost necessary to see the performers a little closer than that to to get the most out of the concert.

However, I have returned to some photos from the last concert. They are of one of the two pipers in the Mud Men band. Some may be the way that I processed them 3 years ago; others have been recently edited or re-edited.

I like the last pose in both the colour and mono versions.






17 comments:

Boud said...

What's celtfest?

Marcia said...

Sitting under the sun wouldn't be my idea of fun either.

Jenn Jilks said...

I think you are wise. We are curtailing our activities as many aren't quite the standards they used to be.
(ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

Marie Smith said...

Sitting in the hot sun wouldn’t be my idea of a fun time either.

Barbara Rogers said...

Good choice. I'm sure there are many recorded versions of pipes and drums available. Personal comfort does trump civic involvement in many ways...using the verb from card playing days.

DJan said...

Great shots! I like the last B&w the best. Bagpipes are sure interesting looking! :-)

gigi-hawaii said...

It would be interesting to see the bagpipes in person, something I have never done. Gigi hawaii

PipeTobacco said...

The bagpiper photos are very cool. His look in the poses makes him seem like he may be a pipe smoker as well. I have known several bagpiper pipe smokers over the years…. although I have to admit…. the bagpipe is NOT my favorite instrument. One such friend was both a bagpiper and a bassoonist…. And I was alway much more pleased when he would get out his bassoon. 🙂

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco said...

BTW bassoon and bass clarinet sound very nice together.

PipeTobacco

Margaret said...

I would love to go to Celtfest. I enjoy going to the ocal Scottish Highland games although they do require quite a bit of walking.

Celia said...

We've missed our fest with pipers here too. However it doesn't look like they will be back this year either. We still have a very high infection rate of the plague. Even so I've lost my stamina for concerts in the last two years as well. Signs of the times.

William Kendall said...

I like these.

Tabor said...

Hubby still likes the crowds, but I am over that and we will not go see the fireworks with all of its noise and craziness.

The Furry Gnome said...

We've gone to the Celtic Festival in Goderich several times, but not recently. Love the pipers.

Joanne Noragon said...

I think some mono versions are better, some color are better. I do love pipes.

Jeanie said...

Celtic music is my favorite and I would have loved that festival but I can see why you might opt out this time. The photos from previous years, though, are great.

Mage said...

And I like the top one best.