Monday, July 25, 2022

A Macro Morning

Yesterday morning I stuck close to home for my photos – the front garden actually. I was too late to wander about looking for good light, and I don't think it had been all that special anyway. Besides, I do need my sleep sometimes. Yesterday, I slept-in until 5:30 and then tried for more zzz's. It didn't work, of course, and I was up 10 or 15 minutes later, just about the time that the sun was making an appearance.

I puttered around for awhile before going out to the garden because I needed the sun to rise a bit to get some light on the flowers.

My intention was to shoot handheld and, hopefully, get a lot of background softness, or even foreground softness for that matter. I was more interested in composition than the state of the blooms, so I don't mind that some were after or even before their best date.

I began with a photo from the daylily patch, but, being day lilies, most were not in prime condition from the previous day. I really need to get out and deadhead.


Our most ubiquitous flower is the echinacea, just that common and reliable one. They reseed and spread, and I am fine with that because I am mostly beyond putting a lot of effort into gardening.





The hostas are in bloom, so I tried a few compositions. Most of the flower stalks are big clumps, which are fine to look at, but I found they're too busy in photos. This was the best of the few photos that I tried.


I tried this ↓ weed, but it's very low to the ground, and I don't bend too well. I like the composition, but I should have lain on the ground to try to nail the focus. For some reason, I am reluctant to lie on the lawn in public, or at least I was on this morning. I have done so before, however.


I wasn't out there for very long, but on the whole I was satisfied by this little photoshoot. 


17 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Great photos, especially like the close up of the "weed", we have some so I know how tiny those flowers are. When ever I'm out to take photos of my daylilies, I do a deadhead round, unless I've got a done flower, a new flower & a bud in the frame ...

When I was taking my photography program at college, our main professor use to say "beware of crouching photographers" ... no idea what it meant but I think he was inferring some criticism to what he deemed amateurs.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great macros! I loved the one with the string of spider webbing going off to the side.

Anvilcloud said...

@Patio, These most definitely involved crouching. 😀

DJan said...

Wonderful macros. I like the last one best.

Marty said...

Just as well the neighbors didn't arise to find you prone on the lawn.

Boud said...

That's a really nice gallery of pictures. About lying down for a view, for this enthusiast, it's all about the getting up again.

gigi-hawaii said...

Your macros are finely Done. Couldn't be better.

RedPat said...

You got some beautiful shots.

William Kendall said...

Excellent close ups.

Kay said...

I love your macros. I miss being able to do that since I only use my iphone now.

Mage said...

Nice stuff. I like the weed too.

The Furry Gnome said...

I like your Echinacea photos!

Margaret said...

I love taking photos of flowers and their minute details. Older Daughter has a ton of hostas at her new place; the leaves are pretty but I find the blooms kind of meh. I do have a weakness for lilies like that day lily!

dellgirl said...

Oh, what beauty! You got an amazing shot of "nature's therapy"! I could sit and watch these beauties for hours. Thank you for the inspiration.

As usual your photos are absolutely captivating, truly BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for sharing with us. Wishing you well, my friend! Have a wonderful week!

Jenn Jilks said...

Yeah, what IS with these 5 a.m. mornings?!
You did something productive, at least!

Jeanie said...

The blooms are beautiful, John. I love how you continually try different things.

Vicki Lane said...

Lovely! Especially the coneflower with the twisty petals.