Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Sue's Double Exposures

Maybe it is time to feature a bit of Sue's phone photography. I say phone photography, but yesterday, she resorted to using my beastly Canon.

You see, her theme this week revolves around double exposures, and while she can do some maneuvering by smooshing two separate phone photos together in edit, it doesn't always work well.

My camera can take a double exposure right on the spot. You point your camera at one thing, press the shutter, and then point the camera at something else. You can sort of see the first image as you begin to point at the second image.

In this ↓ photo, She took a photo of the town hall clock tower. Then she took one of her shadow on the ground, and the camera merged them into what you see below.

She wanted the tower and flag centered better, so she worked at it.

I think I prefer the asymmetry of the first photo and the way that the tower adheres to her outlines, but both turned out well in my opinion.

I played a little with that first photo, adding a sunset sky in passing and just for fun.

She took another photo before we left, It uses town hall and a mural for a local theatre/musical ensemble. Depending on the next prompts, she may be able to use it for her group on another day.

A year ago, I never thought that she would be doing more photography than I, but here we are.


21 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Well, who knew? A double exposure!

Boud said...

I agree with your preference for the asymmetrical one. These are really interesting. Any chance that Sue will have her own blog? I'd follow it.

Anvilcloud said...

@Boud. Sue once had a blog with family content. It is still open, but she hasn’t used it for many years.

MARY G said...

Nice work. Creative lady. I like the first one best, but the whole post is fun.

DJan said...

Oohhh, I like it! I prefer her symmetrical one.

Barbara Rogers said...

Interesting double exposure shots...without any background to confuse things...yep, that first one is a keeper.

Margaret said...

I really like that asymmetrical one! Double exposures can be very evocative.

Marie Smith said...

Way to go, Sue. You’ve come a long way in photography in the last year!

Patio Postcards said...

Well done Sue - those are really interesting photos. What a dynamic duo you make with her eye & your skills.

Jeanie said...

The double exposures are very interesting. I'm so glad you have this wonderful hobby that you share.

Red said...

Interesting. My eyes do double exposure all the time. I have astigmatism.

RedPat said...

I like that first one best too.

William Kendall said...

These are creative.

Mage said...

I like the first one too.

Debby said...

That's is so awesome. The first first one is startling until your mind figures out what your eye is seeing. I like it!

The Furry Gnome said...

Never had a camera that could take double exposures.

Joanne Noragon said...

This is such an interesting post.

Vicki Lane said...

what fun! I'm going to have to try this.

PipeTobacco said...

I have to say that Sue’s double exposure efforts are WONDERFUL! I am very impressed!!!

PipeTobacco

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Wow, you are so right in your comment about Sue’s photography nearly overtaking your own efforts, John. She has really come up with such creative takes on a subject matter. It’s been years since I have done a double exposure, usually accidental in a film camera so didn’t know that digital ones could do them on purpose. Kudos to Sue.

Can either of you provide details on her class in a future post, if possible? Thanks

Kay said...

You and Sue are so darn creative!