Monday, July 18, 2022

AC Goes on a Recce

recce. / (ˈrɛkɪ) / noun, verb -ces, -ceing, -ced or -ceed.
a slang word for reconnaissance, reconnoitreSlang.

I have wanted to check out the path around the pond, a little more than the short recce that I walked previously.

Thinking it would be buggy, and knowing from other recent ventures at the pond that buggyness was very likely, I wore jeans, long-sleeve-shirt with hood, plus a big hat. I needn't have bothered because the insects were smarter than I am and were avoiding the sun and heat.

I swear that I am not grumpy but I can seem that way
when I am otherwise concentrating.
I share this trait with Lacey.

I have mentioned the wildflowers and particularly the wild parsnip, which is yellow in these photos. It runs from left to right in the middle of both photos.



Coincidentally, we just watched a murder mystery in Silent Witness, season 23 that was solved by wild parsnip  burning the perps skin.

I got to the other side of the pond where there may or may not be good a sunset composition in the evenings. The vegetation was a little shorter here, and there may be a few spots sans parsnip where I could get closer to the water. We shall have to see.

In the past I have photographed my dawn shots approximately
from that gap between the houses on the other side
back towards where I am taking this photo.

A zoom photo of the water tower along with its reflection might possibly work in lower evening light, but this is to be determined.

Note: I first called the parsnip , parsley, and had to edit. That is why you will find the first few commenters also writing parsley. My mistake.




21 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

I did not know that wild parsley burns the skin. Locally the warnings are all up about Giant Hog's Weed. There seems to be a lot of wild flowers in the area around the pond - was there a lot bees and/or butterflies present or was it too hot for them?

Marcia said...

We have that lovely yellow wild parsley blooming along the roadsides here. Daughter informed us not to pick it because it will burn the skin. Were you worried about black flies? They are the worst and stealthy too.

Ed said...

Just reading the title, I had no idea what it meant. But after reading the definition, and adjusting my mental pronunciation, I have heard others use that term before. I use another two syllable version of "recon."

Vicki Lane said...

There are a number of plants that will burn the skin if exposed to sunlight. Rue gave me painful itching blisters before I knew this. One reason some old herbals recommend gathering certain plants by moonlight?

Jeanie said...

You don't look grumpy. You look determined. Now I need to look up wild parsnip.

Barbara Rogers said...

A good idea for sunsets...but I'd hate to think of you traipsing over to the far side of the pond for a dawn shot...so I'm glad you do those on the other side of the pond. Careful with those weeds!

gigi-hawaii said...

Despite the bugs, the scenery was gorgeous, well worth the trip. Good job with the camera!

Debby said...

Everyone else seems to be looking at the plants and here I am thinking "How beautiful is that sky?????!!"

My god. You look like a domestic terrorist with your hat and hood and 'shades'. If your sweat shirt reads 'Let's go, Brandon!', I'd be heading the opposite way as soon as I laid eyes on you.

MARY G said...

There is a lot of it this year, for sure. And a lot of debate about how to get rid of the stuff. I don't remember seeing it around here many years ago - maybe it is like sweet white clover and has a cycle? Anyway, a little soap and water is all that is needed to keep it from scalding your skin.
Ticks, on the other hand! Glad to hear about your armour. And get your wonderful wife to check your lower back, if your passion for the right shot causes you to wade into the weeds.

Margaret said...

It looks like a beautiful day. A photo doesn't show the heat! :) I laughed about the insects. They aren't prevalent here so I would have no idea about gearing up for them.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The reflection of you taking your selfie in the first photo was fun to see. Now, I want to watch that episode of Silent Witness.

PipeTobacco said...

Hah! I liked your “recce” or “stealth” mode look!

This morning, I ran in a long sleeve dark grey shirt (designed to whisk sweat away from the body and to prevent sunburn)…. it looked almost like a turtleneck and had me looking like a poetic beatnik straight out of the late 50s.

PipeTobacco

Jenn Jilks said...

That stuff just scares me. They sprayed here, a lot of people complained, but it got most of it. They hand pulled the stuff a couple of weeks ago. I think we're getting a handle on it.

RedPat said...

I hadn't heard of it so I am going to google for a closeup.

DJan said...

I also had to grin at that getup. Looks hot and uncomfortable! :-)

Marie Smith said...

Beautiful setting and love those wildflowers!

DrumMajor said...

Your prepared costume scared the insects away! Uh, next trip, consider a lighter colored shirt to beat the heat? Any snakes around? Linda in Kansas

William Kendall said...

A lovely day.

The Furry Gnome said...

That wild parsnip can cause nasty burns!

Joanne Noragon said...

You do look like a bad 'un. Recce my aunt's fanny. But at least you would scare them away.

Boud said...

You look pretty grim and scary in that outfit. Bit warm too. We always forget the bugs when in mid winter we long for summer!