Tuesday, July 05, 2022

Faking a Long Exposure

There is a lot of computing power in an iPhone. One of Sue's tasks was to shoot motion or blur in a long exposure. Well, an iPhone doesn't do a long exposure per se, but it does have a work-around to create the effect, at least in some situations.

With her iPhone 13, she can use Live View, which will, in effect, take pictures/video for a few seconds with one press. You can then tell it to do several things, and one is to mimic a long exposure.

Once again, I was the faithful subject, this time on my bike in the park.

From Sue taking a single Live View exposure, I am able to upload three results: two photos and one video. Here, in order, are the freeze-frame, the blended long exposure effect, and the video. It turned out that a bicycle goes a little too fast for a good long exposure. Someone slowly walking a dog should work better.



Here's another series.




You can create something similar in Photoshop. I have experimented with the effect a few times when I have been unable to take a normal long exposure but desired a silky water effect. For this ↓ photo from 2017, I took 22 hand-held photos and then blended them in Photoshop. I think that I have another, better example somewhere, but this one is good enough for demonstration purposes.




12 comments:

DJan said...

I'm learning so much about photography from you. And I sure do like your last picture. :-)

Jeanie said...

It's fascinating, seeing how beautifully you manipulate these!

Marie Smith said...

So creative with an iPhone!

Vicki Lane said...

The red shirt is perfect.

Margaret said...

Great photos! (and excellent subject) I love how much Sue is learning about her phone. I should do the same.

Mage said...

The Photoshop version works well.
The phone version doesn't.

PipeTobacco said...

I am in awe of what you did with “Live”. I have had it OFF because it was annoying me in my just run-of-the-mill static shots.

William Kendall said...

Quite tricky what can be done with photos.

Jenn Jilks said...

Nicely done! I didn't know they were up to version 13!

Joanne Noragon said...

Interesting. I mostly used long exposure for dark situations and still subjects.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

And now I learned something new that I didn't know before! I liked the show of the disappearing AC.

MARY G said...

Wonderful lesson. Back in the day I took lots of blurred photos of gymnastic's moves, some of them even on purpose.
That tecnique would be wonderful with a canoe and some rapids.
Nice shirt.