Friday, July 22, 2022

No Eagle Rides for Me

'It's a dangerous business . . . going out of your door,' . . .  'You step into the Road, and . . . .there is no telling where you might be swept off to. '" (Frodo quoting Bilbo in The Lord of the Rings)

Recently, I have known where I was going on my early morning photoshoots – to the pond, to the road, or to the farm. On this day, I did not have a firm destination in mind. I thought I might go farther east than I have and check out a different concession road. But I didn't.

I had barely got around the corner when I stopped to take this ↓ photo: just a view down a road on the edge of town at blue hour. There is a little mall on the left, a fitness centre down yonder in the centre, and a new hotel on the right.


I remembered seeing a truck with lumber parked at the hotel, so I drove down the street in the ↑ photo, turned right, and drove to the front of the building. The truck had been there for a few days, and it was still there on this morning. While I often want to focus tightly and eliminate distractions, I liked showing the truck in context with the lights of a car dealership in the background.


Subsequently, I did drive east just a little way and took this ↓ photo. I knew that it would not be my fave, but I took it anyway. It's okay. but not as good as a few that I took from the same spot last year.


Unlike both Bilbo and Frodo, and although, like them, I didn't know where I was going, I did not go far, did not meet gigantic spiders, did not have to walk into Mordor, and was soon home having coffee and toast. Although it might have been fun to have been transported by eagles, like a good hobbit, I was happy to be comfy at home.

Before I go, I will leave you with a b&w version of the truck: just because I can.



17 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Blue hour was so pretty! The truck in b&w is interesting!

PipeTobacco said...

I have always enjoyed your “blue hour” photographs a great deal. They always exude a sort of “noir” feel that is “moody” yet appealing.

Even though I have tried several times to “get into” and enjoy the LOTR books, enjoyment of them alludes me. The only thing I have consistently enjoyed about Hobbits is that they are venerate pipe smokers! 😜

PipeTobacco

gigi-hawaii said...

Man, your imagination goes wild at that hour, doesn't it? LOL.

Patio Postcards said...

I am SO surprised that that truck has been there for a couple of days with lumber on it, especially with the price & lack of lumber available.

Your early morning warnings certainly continue to provide lots of great photo ops.

Marcia said...

You haven't made mention of your poor sleep problems. I guess that's be solved for now and you can rise early to take your photos.

RedPat said...

Blue hour is wonderful.

Margaret said...

You've definitely captured that "before the world wakes up" ambiance in these photos.

Vicki Lane said...

I'm usually not a fan of b&w but I do like the b&w truck photo.

William Kendall said...

Moody shots.

There are days I feel like I'm walking into Mordor. :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The B&W truck shot is very evocative, but I actually prefer the color one.

Red said...

I like the first shot with the hotel. All photos look pretty lively

Joanne Noragon said...

There is more definition in the black and white.

Debby said...

Wow ..i will call you the dawn treader. I will call myself the 8 am stumbler.

DrumMajor said...

The b/w truck photo makes it look like the 1940s. Where's the trucker? Is he visiting someone? Does he have covid and is stuck? Linda in Kansas

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done.
I didn't hear about the hotel. That fitness centre is where our Naturopath works.

DJan said...

It's been a long time since I've read those books, but I haven't forgotten them!

Kay said...

I love seeing how your photographic mind works. These early morning photos really capture that feeling before the world wakes up.