Friday, July 08, 2022

Our Little Bicycle Ride

This one thing never works out for me.

Some people, most normal people at least, can nod off in the evening and then get up, go to bed, and sleep for the duration.

Not AC, however.

I was watching a YouTube video or thought I was, but then I'd come to and realized that I had missed some of the program. It happened more than once.

I decided to go with it, embrace my sleepiness, and try to keep on sleeping through the night.

I should know better by now because I have been through this scenario before. Unfortunately, I am too soon old and too late smart.

Just dressed in shorts and tee and in my comfy chair, I could just stay there without changing into pjs, couldn't I? I could even forego the bedtime tooth ritual if it would help to keep me in my comfy chair and in a state of sleep.

That was around or a little before 9 o'clock.

A frustrating 3 hours later, at 12:30, Sue stumbled into my den, wondering what in thundering tarnation I was up to because she knew that I had once been to bed. Indeed, I had tried bed after I couldn't get back to sleep in the chair.

As is usually the case, I gave up trying (this is after 3 hours or more), got cookies and milk, and sat down at the computer.

When Sue stumbled in, wondering if all was well, I was editing the cycling video that she had taken. She had shot 12 minutes of video of us cycling to and mostly through the park and trail.

But what do you do with 12 minutes of cycling? I mean to say that bikes go slowly, and one doesn’t need to see us pedalling up the street for 4 long minutes. 

And so it was that Sue discovered me snipping and splicing in the wee hours when normal folk were abed.  Whatever it takes, eh? I did prune the video down to just under 4 minutes.

Now I present it to you, you lucky lucky people. It's not as though I expect anyone to watch 4 minutes of two old codgers on their bikes, but perhaps, some might like to scrub through a few bits, just to get an idea of some of our trail. Or not. I leave it with you.

Under the circumstances, I feel as though I can overlook
the phone being orientated vertically.

Sue made the video using the phone holder of which I have previously posted. In actual fact the holder doesn't hold it's place on the handle bar very well, tending to lose its grip and wobble downwards. So it is going back. We may try again with another model.

Oh, and here is a selfie from that little adventure where we stopped for a few minutes.



19 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

You have some wonderful trails to travel on. What a steady & straight cyclist you are - me I ride like a drunken sailor ... Mr Man says I need some training wheels!

Boud said...

Fun to get out on your bikes. Good for you.

Marie Smith said...

I love the bike video. Wish I could ride again.

Barbara Rogers said...

I liked how the camera didn't shake with the handlebars...that's a feature I wouldn't expect! Yes, it would be a fun thing to do, biking along those very nice paths!

Jeanie said...

It's a pretty trail. I love the trestle bridges. And a wonderful selfie. My balance is so bad now, I'm afraid to get on my bike. We'll see!

Jenn Jilks said...

Good for you! We cannot cycle anymore. I envy those who can, many are posting copious photos of trips on Facebook, my cousin rides her horse frequently. We have modified our activities with old age!
(ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

Vicki Lane said...

Better to make use of that non-sleep time than to toss and turn.

DJan said...

I often awake at night but just lie there and practice slow breathing and before I know it, I'm asleep again.

RedPat said...

I find that CBC radio puts me to sleep during the night.

gigi-hawaii said...

I tend to sleep intermittently, too. No real problem with that, because I am retired and don't have to report to work. Gigi hawaii

Margaret said...

Great photo--I love that you're getting out and about on the bikes. John and I need to do so also!

Marcia said...

You're brave. I gave up bike riding some years ago not that I did much then.

Joanne Noragon said...

You two look pretty good. I gave up biking--a long time ago.

Red said...

You ably mixed in wild sleeping patterns with video!

Kay said...

I have the same problem with sleep whereas Art can fall asleep in seconds. It looks like your ride is very jiggly going over the gravel and the bridge (from the sounds) and yet the video is really stable. It's amazing! Sue's phone must have an amazing stabilizer.

DrumMajor said...

Cool video! Makes me want to get a bike out. The bridges look a bit scary skinny. I would've moved the black and white barrel over. Thanks for the ride! Linda in Kansas

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I will admit to having fast forwarded just a bit in the bike video as even watching movement on home made videos often triggers a slight headache. That said, I enjoyed seeing the rather nice biking trail and commend your riding on them. It was also nice to see the selfie of you both afterwards.

And, just as I can turn a post into a research project, yours result in photo explorations. It’s clear we both enjoy what we do, AC.

William Kendall said...

I had an odd day...napped for an hour or so.

MARY G said...

Amazingly few other people out on the trail ... a bonus for Sue.