Saturday, July 23, 2022

Ride #8: What a Slog!

As we were about to put feet to pedals, I said to Sue that I wouldn't try to increase the distance as we had planned and that we may not even go as far as last time. You do recall that I wanted to go a little farther, but I was feeling off on that morning.

As it turned out, we rode 2k less this time -- only 4.9k. And it was still a gigantic ordeal.

It's been hot here, but we figured that we'd be alright at 9am. We should have been okay at that hour, for it was the same time we had started on our two previous rides, and they had gone very well.

But something was off, and we both struggled. Maybe it was the heat; maybe it was having 4 days between rides. I don't know, but it was a slog.

We did it, though.


A while ago, I posted that Sue had obtained a bike holder for her phone, and I showed a video at the time. Well, she is now on her 4th holder. The first 2 wouldn’t stay in place; they must have been designed for motorcycles with thicker handlebars although they didn’t specify that restriction in their descriptions  The 3rd device gripped well but the housing obscured the camera. The 4th one works pretty well. She took a good video, but now communications between our phones have broken down, so I can’t post it.

I am, however, able to retrieve this ↓ photo from that ride. It's our usual resting spot when we're back near home after we almost finishing the ride. I do look a little macabre in dappled light and shadow, but it is what it is.


I do hope that we get the phone issues sorted out so that I can post a video at some point.



19 comments:

Marie Smith said...

What a beautiful trail, AC. You did well in the heat!

Boud said...

Lovely ride at any distance.

Jenn Jilks said...

You look fine in your red shirt!
It's been so hot. Good for you getting out.
(ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

Barbara Rogers said...

Great that you made it that far, and had a good shady rest! I've extended my walking (which is half up and half downhill) but only if it's below 75. Some days I miss that window of opportunity.

Margaret said...

Love the dappled (?) shadows in that picture. At least you're getting out on the bikes. Due to family obligations and weather, John and I haven't been out at all yet. :(

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

It's a beautiful shot! All that green and the rippling water. It looks so peaceful.

Vicki Lane said...

Love the last picture. But for goodness sake, take it easy in this heat!

Jeanie said...

Well done, going out at all in this heat -- it's brutal. I don't get it -- why do you want your phones along for a bike ride. I can maybe see it if riding alone but with two of you and out for fun... anticipating trouble? I suppose useful if a crash but in a pocket or fanny pack seems like a safer spot.

DJan said...

Some days I just don't have the oomph that I usually do. It happens sometimes. I like the dappled sunlight picture! Nice legs.

Anvilcloud said...

@Jeanie. Sue, especially, wants the phone handy to take photos or video rather than have to rummage around. And they provide an excellent record for mileage, heart rate, etc.

RedPat said...

I think the heat did you in.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I think it's wonderful that you and Sue are biking. My daughter and her husband do the same and they love it ... even taking their small dog along ... she's in a backpack that Brian puts on his back and she has just her head showing and seems happy as can be.

Red said...

Keeping statistics helps you improve your goals and lengthen the ride distance.

Joanne Noragon said...

Some days you just do not have the oompa, oompa to come up to steam. Musta been one of those days.

Kay said...

Oh gosh! I hope you're carrying a water bottle with you. I don't think I could bike in the heat. Wow! You guys are amazing.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Glad you took your camera to get photo.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Rita said...

Beautiful trail, but it has been so hot--awk! Glad you managed okay. :)

DrumMajor said...

Drink water! Linda in Kansas

William Kendall said...

Admittedly I do not do well in this heat.