Monday, July 11, 2022

Computers and Shawarmas

That was an odd time in computerdom.

In order to watch Wimbledon tennis, we had signed up for month of live-streaming with the sports channel. But we were getting horrendous internet timeouts. I called our internet provider, and they had me reset the router. It worked.

It worked but resulted in concomitant issues 

The network name changed. The first thing we noticed was that we had to reset the thermostat, but that was just the beginning.

We couldn’t reconnect Sue’s computer to wifi because both the network name and password had reverted to something or other and we didn’t know what.

This went on into the next day when with some thought on my part some input from others, I found how to talk to my router and re-input my former network names and passwords.

Alexa had also been affected, but we got her talking to us again as well.

Strangely enough our Apple phones and tablets had adapted to the new configuration seamlessly both with the original change and then setting the network name and passwords back again. Go figure.

The difficulty had also been compounded by the collapse of one of the three main internet and cellular providers in the country. When I was still confused about what to do about my wifi problems (although we did figure it out later) I couldn’t even make a phone call to my internet provider who largely used the Rogers infrastructure. Anyone who used Rogers was affected. Many couldn’t even make purchases when out and about. Sue met her Friday coffee gals at McDonalds and noted that many Rogers customers were there just to text relatives as McDonalds had a different internet provider.

When we met Sha and the kids for shawarmas, the lady before us couldn’t pay with her Visa card, but our Mastercard went through without a hitch. However, we had also made sure to take enough cash, just in case.

We did enjoy our shawarmas outdoors next to town hall by the river and then came back to ours for Wizard and contemplations about addressing my own computer issues that had nothing to do with the Rogers collapse.

Just for a change, I have photos of our lunch by the river.







18 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Glad you got most of your computer woes sorted out. I wonder what, if any, lessons Rogers will learn from this massive outage. My biggest surprise was how quickly the scammers where out & taking advantage of Roger's customers .... grrr

Ed said...

As time goes on, any sort of technical glitch seems to have cascading affects. It doesn't make me hopeful in my ability to keep solving them the older I get.

Marie Smith said...

It sure is beautiful by the river!

That Rogers problems made it miserable for lots of people over the weekend! We are dependent on technology, that’s for sure!

Jenn Jilks said...

It is a great spot!
(ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

Boud said...

You live in a lovely place. Shawarmas?

Barbara Rogers said...

What a great site for luncheon! I admit I had to look up Shawarmas. I have no idea what they taste like, but would certainly be willing to try...but not to cook.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

After reading about the outages, I wondered how it had affected anyone I knew and now you have explained, so thanks. Good to know that the Apple products transitioned OK as they are our electronics of choice should a similar situation happen here. Glad you all were able to meet up and enjoy shawarmas (?)

gigi-hawaii said...

Too bad you had to go through hell. But, shawarma is delicious. I had it at a wedding reception back in the 1980s. Yum!!!

Jeanie said...

Good grief! Makes you wonder about what would happen if the grid went down with a cyber attack and nothing worked! Love a good schwarma, though. Tasty!

RedPat said...

The whole Rogers fiasco has everyone rethinking their online connections.

MARY G said...

I had to reset my system. Talk about lost passwords! The Rogers collapse was weird - everything in my daughter's house stopped except the cell phones. All on the same network.
Drooling.

DrumMajor said...

What is schwarma? Honey made from a shwarm of bees? I presume it's not made by the internet providers. Linda in Kansas

Margaret said...

That's so very frustrating; I wouldn't know where to start! Glad that you got it resolved. My hat is off to you for working through the issues. I would definitely call John and have him come over to fix it. He's much more computer savvy than I am. Great photos of the fam!

William Kendall said...

I was not affected. I have Bell at home and my phone is on Telus.

DJan said...

I don't know what a shawarma is, but I'm glad you enjoyed yours. And glad to hear that the internet computer problems are all fixed! :-)

The Liberty Belle said...

I like my shawarma doused with tarator and toom, hold the onion. Nice photos.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Your story of what happened reminds me all over again why technology often has me pulling my hair. It's so wonderful when everything is working well, and such a nighmare when it isn't! Glad you were able to get it all worked out.

Rita said...

What a mess! We have grown so dependent on the internet that it is really scary. You all look wonderful! :)