Sunday, July 17, 2022

Farther but still not Far

We've had the bicycles out 4 or 5 times now. I am going to say 5x in order to have a firm reference number to rely on for any future posts.

Cycling has been a rather timid, or at least cautious, undertaking, but we have tried to ride just a little bit farther each time. Not to worry: it's still not far.

Our little Riverwalk Trail connects with the OVRT* trail, so we pushed an extra half kilometre or so to make it that far.

We stopped on the bridge over the river to take a few snaps.



On our return leg, we also stopped at our usual bench overlooking the river. This is pretty close to home. It is a pity that the bench is uncomfortable, but it is okay for 10 minutes or so.


Our watches have been alerting us to turn on the exercise app once we get going, and it knows that we are actually cycling. On this occasion, our brains were engaged enough that we remembered to engage the app at the outset, so we have a pretty accurate summary for once. They recorded us going almost 6k in about 38 minutes. That seems a bit long for 6k, but we go slowly along the trail, especially when we pass or approach pedestrians. If we meet someone on the various little bridges, we pause long enough to let them get by us.

This ↓ was the report that Sue got form her watch app. I got a similar one, but my watch isn't talking to my phone as well as hers. I was able to get a screen capture from her phone,


How the mighty have fallen! We moved here 17 years ago, and in that year, trips of 50-80k were not uncommon. We cycled for more than 2000k in all in that summer, just coming short of 2500k if I recall correctly.

Now we do a meagre 6k, and I get so excited that I actually post about it.

*OVRT: Ottawa Valley Recreational Trail

Update

Yesterday, Saturday, on ride #6, and we went slightly farther once again: about 0.7 km  farther for 6.49k in total. We did it in 36:40m and arrived home by 10a.m. We rode relatively early to beat the heat, at least a little bit. We might do another early-ish ride today, but don't worry, for I won't necessarily feel compelled to report on every ride we go on. 😎


12 comments:

Boud said...

It's great you have safe places to ride from home. I had to give up my local cycling when our country roads got busy with traffic.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a fun way to exercise, and get different views of things! Getting the heart rate up is always (almost) a good thing. You all have done such a lot of riding in the past, wow! I love the picture looking down (up?) the river from the bridge!

gigi-hawaii said...

It's good that you and Sue are exercising, no matter how long or short. Wish I could cycle like you.

Marie Smith said...

Oh how I wish I could do as much as you do now, AC. It sounds wonderful to me.

Jenn Jilks said...

I sure miss biking. My cousin and a friend are always posting the huge distances on Facebook. We just cannot. Sometimes I find it discouraging. We have to change our workouts as we face new health issues. JB tromps up and down the driveway these days, in the cool of the morning.
You have done well.

Margaret said...

I think it's wonderful that you're getting out on the bikes! The scenery is gorgeous. John and I need to take the bikes out; hopefully we will soon now that the kids are moving over to their own place.

Red said...

Your apps don't miss much. It's good because you can start to set goals and increase your activity.

William Kendall said...

I haven't been on a bike in years.

Rita said...

Looks beautiful there! A bit jealous that you guys can get out and cycle. Enjoy!! :)

Marty said...

So lucky to be able to cycle through that scenery.
Annoying to know that you only expended 111 calories on one leg of your trip, but the cardio and muscle building are what really matter. Good for you!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Look like wonderful weather.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Jeanie said...

I wish I loved my bike, which I haven't ridden in decades. I freak out. Which is odd, given that Rick is such an avid road cyclist and at one point in his youth on a national championship track. He knows how to ride (and tells you -- which is aggravating when all you really want is to just stay on!) My balance isn't great and with the blood thinners worry about a fall. But you two have such fun. I don't think Rick and I would have fun on a ride together. He's more the "go places" and I'm more the "go to the garage sale and buy things that would only fit in the front basket!"