Wednesday, July 06, 2022

An Odd Occurrence

We got a text from Danica. Could Buppa take me to Almonte this afternoon?

Dani has school friends in Almonte, which is the town nearest to us and only 10 minutes away, so sure, Buppa could do that. 

Unlike with my dawn pickups to take Danica to work, Sue decided to come along for the ride. JJ also joined us, so for a treat, we took him to McDonalds after dropping the girl off. 

The strangest thing happened. We made our order. Sue flashed her points card from her phone, and I stood there with my credit card at the ready to pay the whopping $25 bill whilst wondering when snacks at McDonalds became so darn expensive.

What followed was odd and surprising. 

The cashier did something or other wrong and was declaring that the meal was "On me."

It wasn’t quite computing as I stood there offering my credit card with my puzzled and bare bearded face hanging out. 

She happily repeated that she had made an error at the till and, therefore, our dinner would be free. I guess it was easier to do it that way than to reprocess everything. She seemed unconcerned and almost overjoyed that this had happened. 

How strange, to say the least.

17 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

What a great surprise & treat. So hopefully Sue's points didn't get used at all.

Marie Smith said...

Free. Perfect!

Barbara Rogers said...

That certainly is one of the best surprises to come along today!

Jenn Jilks said...

That was fun!
(ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

DJan said...

Nice windfall, eh?

Debby said...

Don't little things like that just make a day??? That's very cool. The closest I got to that was once, I made an order, and an item was forgotten. When I went back to the register, the woman denied I had ordered it. I ordered two of the same meal. She had only entered one of them. I wasn't trying to argue with her but just get the meal. There were five people waiting at a table with four meals. I was standing there with my card. She kept wanting to circle back to 'You didn't order two meals.' It was frustrating. I finally said, 'Listen. Can we just fix this? I don't care how it happened at this point, but I'm going to need the meal.' I ordered, paid and took the stuff back to the table. The manager came over and put tickets for free meals for the next time we came. She said that she'd overheard the exchange. There was no need for the arguing.

Marcia said...

Free is always a pleasure. That is a nice policy they have.

gigi-hawaii said...

Man, hahaha! What can I say? You're one lucky guy! Gigi hawaii

William Kendall said...

Peculiar.

RedPat said...

Your lucky day.

Rita said...

Now that was truly an unexpected treat!! :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a nice surprise although admittedly as I was reading this and read where the cashier said "on me" I was, at first, mistakenly thinking that she was buying your meal! Even though it was the corporation actually doing that, still very nice to be the recipient!

Margaret said...

That's a wonderful surprise but my mouth is still hanging open--$25 at McDonald's?

Joanne Noragon said...

That was a pleasant surprise.

Red said...

Good luck for you but I would bet that there's more to this story than you know.

MARY G said...

Neato! My nicest surprise lately was a coffee at the Tim Horton's drive through window that the previous customer had paid for, just to be nice. I am going to pass that one on. It was lovely.

Jeanie said...

That must be a first! Wow... I can't imagine that happening here.