Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Echinacea in Low Light

I knew the photo that I wanted early Monday morning, but for once I required an almost cloudless sky (which photographers generally despise) to capture the sun rising in a certain location. As it eventuated, it was a cloudy morning, particularly with low clouds, which was the opposite of what I wanted.

Therefore, I decided not to head out, but after awhile, I had the idea of just just checking out the flowers in the front garden. I put on my macro lens and stepped outside.

The echinacea is beginning to bloom and although I tried a few other photos, I concentrated on them. I deliberately opted to shoot low key (underexposed) and handheld, for sometimes I can't be bothered with the tripod. I often like the mystery and drama of low key images, even though they may not be everyone's cuppa.

Here are the results, generally cropped to a square 1:1 aspect ratio or close to it. I like the last two best.






13 comments:

Ed said...

Very nice! Especially the top one!

Jenn Jilks said...

There is mystery to it! Very cool.

MARY G said...

Interesting! Second last is the one that I like best. Too bad the cloud did not deliver any rain out here ... we need it! You have really steady hands!!

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful! Echinacea are so photogenic.

Barbara Rogers said...

While I'm enjoying sunny days, here are dark flower portraits, very cool indeed.

Jeanie said...

They have a mysterious, evocative feeling. It's a wonderful shape. I'm curious now, about what you were hoping to do without clouds! Guess we'll have to wait!

Rita said...

Funny--I like the first two best--lol! :)

PipeTobacco said...

The images are nice. I would like to hear more of a “description” of what you especially like about “low key” images. There are several movie producers of late who seem to share the appreciation for “low key” in cinematography (Tim Burton for instance.).

I abhor low key film quality movies. To me they are aggravating to watch. Your low key static images are good, but I tend to think that I still prefer the opposite (“high key”?) far more.

PipeTobacco

Marie Smith said...

Absolutely love that third photo, AC.

Anvilcloud said...

@Pipe: I don't know why I like low key images, but I do. As for movies or tv shot in the dark, it drive me crazy. You have to also have light, which I try to provide. Just not bright light. But I also do that when the occasion warrants. Or at least I think I do. 😎

Margaret said...

I like the second to last best! Love the color of the flower.

William Kendall said...

These are wonderful.

Joanne Noragon said...

I like the first, with its wonky petal.