Sunday, July 24, 2022

Soare and Unity

Since I don't have any other material today, I will return to the two games that I play in the morning. Yes, you may roll your eyes, avert your gaze, and head to the next blog. I don't blame you. It's the dogdays of summer, and this is what I've got.

When Wordle became a thing, I tried it like everyone else. At that time, I decided that there was too much luck involved. Or maybe I should say, chance. For example, you could guess 4 letters out of 5, but just keep on choosing the wrong 5th latter because so many words could fit. So I gave it up for a time.

Then, everyone else in the extended family started posting their daily results in our family chat, so to be a part of it, I began to play and post again.

Now, most others, except for Shauna (usually), have dropped off, but I keep playing and posting.

I to use soare, which is an antiquated version of sore, as my start word. It's a good word with 3 vowels and 2 frequently used consonants. But it more often than not does not give me much. Below, you see that I only got one letter. Somewhat unusually, it was at least in the right place.

After awhile, for times like that when soare didn't yield much, I added a second start word, unity. It covers the rest of the vowels and two other frequent consonants. Of course, I still wouldn't know how many there were of e or i in the ↑ example, but I have at least eliminated 4 vowels and 4 consonants with my 2 starrer words.

Of course, my guess of midge from just 2 letters with the i even in the wrong place was just plain lucky. Essentially, my second word, unity, is often a throwaway because I ignore the results from soare. Even though it seems like a bit of a waste, using it like this usually gets me to the answer just as quickly as guessing random words that end in e would (in this case).

Since I am about to switch the narrative from describing Wordle to writing about Sudoku, this seems like a good time to ask what your beginning Wordle strategy might be. Assuming that you don't want to keep it as a deep secret, of course.

Since I have posted of Sudoku several times previously, I won't drag you through all of that again. But I will post of something that sometimes happens to me: something that I find very curious.

Let us say that I know that a 2 must go in a certain square. On rare occasions, and I do emphasize rare, I have found my finger is somehow poised to press the adjacent 3 key. My brain knows that I want to press that 2 key and not 3, but my finger is already heading toward the 3, and my brain can't call my finger back in time. So I press the flippin 3 instead of the 2.

It's not that this happens often, but since it has occurred twice recently, I though I would mention it on a day when I don't have any other topics surging through my puny brain.

15 comments:

Boud said...

I think wordle has gone the way of the sea shanties and Pokemon at this point. I was glad when Pokemon ebbed, tired of people running into pedestrians (me), and traffic around here, eyes on screens, in search of whatever it was they were seeking! At least wordle doesn't put the player in harm's way.

William Kendall said...

I don't get either of them.

Marcia said...

Four of my siblings and I play and share. My fifth sibling is still working so she has taken a pass. I use adieu, or route, or ideas, or ideal as my start word. Yesterday midge was a tough one as one aphid a couple of days ago but I did get both with some luck. And as you say there is luck involved because there are words that share four letters but one and sometimes even by the sixth guess you haven't selected the right word.

Barbara Rogers said...

People that play word games (and Sudoku) usually think they are exercising their brains. I used to play Sudoku too. For years. Back when I had a PDA. It was the era of Blackberries. So I retired all that, got an iPhone, and am playing solitaire every dull opportunity (like waiting rooms, waiting for friends, waiting for commercials...)

Marie Smith said...

I haven’t been drawn into Any games yet. One day maybe…

Margaret said...

I use roate or aisle as starters. Route for the French version. I like words so figuring out letter combos is fascinating to me. Midge was a weird word; we don't have many mosquitoes here (unless you're in the forest) and it's rare to hear that word used. I do Wordscapes, Worldle, statele, wordle, Le Mot and Jumble Crossword. By that time I'm finished with my coffee.

Jeanie said...

I just haven't heard of midge. I've heard of midget. Smidge. But no midge. I got it -- but it was just "these are the only letters left that makes a word that sounds like another word." They've been tricky of late. I'm usually getting them but my average seems to be four tries.

DJan said...

I really enjoy wordle and am glad it only allows one play per day. I start with aisle or arise, usually, and have a winning streak of 55. Presently I am at 23. :-)

Kay said...

What????? You got MIDGE on two tries????
Arrrghhh....
It took me 6. I almost "crashed and burned."
My son got it in 3.
I vaguely remembered what midges were but we've never used the term.
You've just reminded me that I haven't done the WORDLE for today. Wish me luck.

Doris Potter said...

I play Wordle, Quordle and Waffle daily. I like Waffle because it requires more strategy than the others.
As for starter words for Wordle: I used to use SEPIA and YOUTH to get all the vowels and some of the more common consonants. Sometimes I would use YOUNG instead of YOUTH. These days I use ROUTE and DAISY.

Joanne Noragon said...

Word games and I don't get along.

Red said...

I like wordle. Some are hard to get like madam...2 a's and two m's

Vicki Lane said...

I still enjoy Wordle every morning. My starter word is OCEAN.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm wordle gal. But a few times I even though in towel. Knowing my answer was going to be wrong.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Jenn Jilks said...

We've been enjoying it on our family chat threads, too.
Always Caitlin and I, some days Josephine, but she is working hard on photography. And seldom Izzy.
JB cannot spell, so he won't even try. It is too frustrating.