Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Forgot is our Middle Name

Sue had asked JJ to come over to help with weeding. My only task was to ferry the boy back and forth.

With 62 years between us, the boy and I are remarkably similar in some ways or at least in one way. I refer not to a facial similarity, which most definitely exists, but of a certain mental quirk. But I must say in passing that when I look at Jonathan, I am amazed to see my own countenance, or very close to it, looking back at me. Other things such as body type and hair may differ, but Oh! that basic physiognomic likeness.

Unfortunately, however, he appears to have inherited my genetic disposition to wool-gather and, thus, forget little details a whole bunch of things.

Basically, he and I drove around town forgetting things.

The first thing we did after picking him up was to go through Tim's drive-thru. We made our order – ja muffin for me and a plain bagel, toasted with cream cheese, for him. I drove up to the window, paid, obtained the provender, and drove off.

Upon arriving home, he opened the bag. Behold there was my muffin. Alas, there was no bagel to behold or hold or eat.

I had wondered at the size of the bag as we were driving home, thinking it a little small to contain both a bagel and a muffin and even wondering why they had placed them both in one bag.

The thing is that one should always check one's order before driving off, but we are both of such a wool-gathering disposition that neither of us thought of it.

It doesn't stop there, though.

The boy has an infection for which he is taking antibiotics.

But he forgot to bring his pills.

And I had forgotten to bring in the potatoes that Sue had requested that Sha send along with him for supper that evening. I had left them in the car for hours to pre-bake in the oven-like temperatures.

After some time, the boy and I returned for his pills, but there was one other thing to pick up – some sort of stand that he had at home to help out with one of Sue's photo challenges. When we went back for his pills, we were to pick it up. We just had to remember two items – pills and stand. Well, we did remember the pills, but  both he and I forgot the stand. 

It's like we rode around town all day in a state of total absentmindedness.

My mother used to declare that my middle name should be Forgot. I suspect that she might have said the same of Jonathan.


23 comments:

Boud said...

Alas my son and I are similar. We both forget the same things at the same time. If we could forget different things it would work better.

Marie Smith said...

At least you know it’s not age related, AC.

Jeanie said...

What a day. But hey -- you had a great companion with whom to forget with and maybe it was a fun way to spend more time together!

DJan said...

I smiled to think of those potatoes baking in the car. Made for a good post, in any event. :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

OH MY!
That is really quite funny.
(ใƒ„) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

Marcia said...

You do have it bad!

Vicki Lane said...

My husband and my younger son both have excellent forgetters.

Barbara Rogers said...

But at least you can give us a chuckle reading about your forgetfulness. Thanks for that!

MARY G said...

Giggling. Sorry! Yes, it is so affirming when you see yourself positively in the upcoming generation. And then you see the rest. Yeah. Luckily my grandkid is not like me at all. No way. No how. And that is probably a fine thing.
My husband writes out what I am supposed to do in town on a file card and hands it to me. All I have to do is not lose the thing.

gigi-hawaii said...

It's too bad that you both are so absent minded. I can be that way, too, but not often.

Debby said...

'Drove around town, forgetting' Sounds like a memorable day!

Celia said...

Looking forward to driving around town forgetting accompanied by my 10-year old g-kids. They go grocery shopping with me. We got lunch at a drive thru because we all forgot to shop up the sandwich fixings.

Ed said...

I guess I'm your opposite during the daytime. I'm usually pretty focused on what needs to be done. However if I am told to do something for the following day, my brain cleans that focus out at night along with whatever task I was supposed to do. My wife compensates by leaving notes that I find in the morning.

NGS said...

You seem remarkably good-natured about all of that. If it's not getting you all riled up, I say embrace the absent-mindedness!

Margaret said...

I think it's cute that you two are so similar although I'm sure the forgetfulness can be irritating at times.

RedPat said...

Did you go back for the bagel?

Anvilcloud said...

@Red. We didn't go right back, but we did make another run later. I did not try to score a free bagel though.

William Kendall said...

You wonder who ended up with a free bagel.

DrumMajor said...

List taped to the car's dashboard. Pencil in the cup caddy; cuz pens leak and crayons melt. I've done it before if I'm feeling brain-lazy. Must look at list before leaving each spot: to make sure you didn't leave something and to know where to go next. Linda in Kansas (lots of room to roam around and around several towns.)

Red said...

Well, it get s worse as we age. This old boy has very little short term memory it seems.

PipeTobacco said...

Hmm… I forgot what I was going to say. ๐Ÿ™‚

PipeTobacco

Joanne Noragon said...

Lists. You make lists. Check them off.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Too funny, John, and the suggestion about a list was a good one and perhaps included on your watch๐Ÿ˜€