Monday, February 28, 2022

Studying Genesis . . . sort of . . .

I have appreciated reading Bart Ehrman's books. My first was Misquoting Jesus, and I have read a number of them since then. I have also listened to many of his lectures on YouTube.

He puts in layman's terms what biblical scholars have been observing and teaching for many years. These are not things we learn in church, particularly in evangelical churches where I was raised and remained until my mid-to-late thirties.

Ehrman has begun to stream actual paywalled courses, and for interest, I decided to subscribe to the newest course, Genesis. When I say it is a course, I don't mean that it is for credit. It's not that long either, only 6 lectures of about a half hour each. There is also a brief Q&A section after each lecture. Once again, his commitment is to show us the kind of information that scholars have learned and concluded. 

For my taste and pocketbook, it is expensive for just three hours of content — about $35US, which will make it about $45 for me. He plans to do the whole bible, and I probably won't be subscribing. But right now it is something different to do in the dogdays of winter. 

Speaking of winter, January was frigid, and February has been miserable in its own way. This Sunday morning,  I sit inside while squall conditions swirl outside (see photos below),and I am afraid that the two-week forecast doesn't look very appealing. Hopefully when we hit mid-March, it will begin to improve. Sometimes it does, but sometimes it takes longer.

What I have decided to do while I listen to these lectures is to also read Genesis although that wouldn’t be absolutely necessary to learn from the course. When I last read it, I was a very committed evangelical. I read now, much older and with a different mindset. It now seems like mythology to me, especially the first 11 chapters up to and including the flood.

This is a little passage from Genesis chapter 19 that I read last night (emphasis mine).

4Now before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both old and young, all the people from every quarter, surrounded the house. 5And they called to Lot and said to him, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us that we may know them carnally.” 6So Lot went out to them through the doorway, shut the door behind him, 7and said, “Please, my brethren, do not do so wickedly! 8See now, I have two daughters who have not known a man; please, let me bring them out to you, and you may do to them as you wish; only do nothing to these men, since this is the reason they have come under the shadow of my roof.”
Later in the chapter, after Lot fled from Sodom and Gomorrah, and after his wife was turned into a pillar of salt, both of his daughters got him drunk and had sex with him in order to preserve his line. This is the kind of stuff that I didn't want to think about too much when I was an evangelical. One just  tends to put it to the back of one's mind and move on to the next chapter.

I may comment more on this mini course once I am done. We shall see what we shall see when we get around to shall seeing what we shall see.

I may even go on to read the whole bible — again! I say again, for I have done it once before. Parts of the bible, I have read many times — the gospels and Paul's epistles, for example.

To switch horses once again, here are photos of the squall. It had abated somewhat by the time that I had consumed my Sunday morning french toast and gotten around to taking the photos. It had been quite a whiteout previously: front and back in that order.




18 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Your photos are snow globe in feel & look :)

I like participating in my ladies bible study group as it helps me understand, plus it's such a safe space to ask questions. I am hoping that one day we tackle the book of Revelations, that is IMO, a reading one should never do alone. I will be interested to hear your thoughts on your course.

If memory serves me correctly wasn't Pinehaven Nurseries on the north side of Upper Middle just down from the hospital?

Marie Smith said...

I remember Bible study from my early years teaching. It’s not for me any more. Enjoy, AC.

DJan said...

I will be interested to hear how your view of these passages might have changed over the years. Hopefully you will share with your readers. :-)

gigi-hawaii said...

I took a bible class twice, and of course we had readings from the New Testament at Catholic Mass. Interesting bit about Lot and his daughters. The Old Testament is full of awful stories. LOL.

Barbara Rogers said...

My comment apparently disappeared from early this morning. It was all about me, so that's ok. I do like the first snowing photo!

Mage said...

The top one captures the storm perfectly.

DrumMajor said...

I just shivered looking at your very snowy photos. Linda in Kansas

PipeTobacco said...

I have been involved in one bible study group, but it was rather scattered and unfocused…. Mostly just folks yammering about their day.

As you know, my faith is Catholic, and my faith has a different mindset about the Bible that do the fundamental or evangelical faiths. In the Catholic faith, while there may be some parts of the Bible that are historically accurate (true)…. discerning what may or may not be “true” is of little consequence. Instead, regardless of historical accuracy, all the components of the Bible can provide valuable allegorical insights that can be used by us to help us to work to grow to be kinder, gentler, more giving and more caring people.

For me, anyway, that is how I TRY to the best of my abilities to use information from the Bible…. Sort of a tool that can reflect where I fall short, or to provide guidance on how to strive to be a better, kinder person.

PipeTobacco

William Kendall said...

That squall blew through here yesterday morning.

Joanne Noragon said...

Quite a squall!

Margaret said...

That is SOME snow! We're getting ours in the form of torrential rain. I could never literally believe the Bible; it does seem like mythology. Part of why I'm not a church goer, although my childhood church took the Bible with a large grain of salt also.

Shammickite said...

I have a Bible that was given to me by my Auntie when I was little, I treasure it, but really because she gave it to me. I haven't read much of it. perhaps I should.

Red said...

I heard the bible read many times in our home. I'm sure I've forgotten most of it and don't intend to go back and look at it. I will be interested to see what new insights you get from Genesis. There I couldn't even spell it!

JudithK said...

I have long not been a participant in any religious exploration or endeavor, but just after Trump was elected, I started reading Daily Meditations by a Franciscan as a way to start my day BEFORE reading the news, and have kept on reading them. I have varied reactions, but I still keep reading. https://cac.org/daily-meditations/explore/ And they're free. Ha. Oh dear. I never ever wanted to proselytize, in fact, nothing turns me off quicker. Oh well.

Jenn Jilks said...

There are some interesting books, many I've read by an author I cannot remember. Ain't old age grand?!
More snow today... Soon things will break and we'll have spring. Jesse, my son in Vancouver, bragged about crocus, though.

MARY G said...

I need to go and check how the King James version translates that passage. I think I last read through that Bible about fifty years ago.
With you on the different mindset now.

MARY G said...

4 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the people from every quarter:
5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him,
7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
8 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

'That we may know them'. !!! 'do ye to them as is good in your eyes'.
You can pass right through this passage without getting what it is about, in the KJ version. Aren't we glad that the laws of hospitality are different these days?

Vicki Lane said...

My husband did a year of graduate school in Comparative Religion and I read most of his texts (and typed his papers too) and thereby learned a lot about the bible and Christianity as seen by scholars. Fascinating, even to a non-believer.