Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Sue and the Snowshoes

For a guy whose hobby is photography, I haven't been posting many photos lately although JJ's birthday gave me some material. Shooting family events in a low lit room is not my favourite thing to do, but be done it must. It is a record of our lives after all.

There are reasons for my reluctance (please world, it is not reticence). January was brutally cold, and I am in my 75th year, and I am semi lame, which is probably too strong a way to describe my condition. I've done many local winter photos in past years, so they tend to get repetitive. Also, the snowfalls have not been pretty for the most part with not much snow on the trees.

Sue became the household photographer in January with her new iPhone, which caused her to join a 365 group on FB. The prompts, plus her inner and compulsive drive, have caused her to often spend many hours to get her work just so. Someday, I will write and post more about her efforts along with samples, but for now, I am just declaring that she has been photographing like mad while I have sat in my chair surveying the ceiling.

On the weekend, she did get me out in the cold to photograph her doing her thing with park benches. I think she posted some of these following photos of mine as a comment to her photo in answer to the daily prompt.

It was very cold out but not quite a frigid as some recent days. Her idea was to go to our favourite bench and to then revisit the location in other seasons.

She began to approach the bench ↓ after finding her way around the snowbank by the road.

She found it to be heavy going, so she decided that we should go back for our snowshoes.

Of course, that's what we did.

It had been 4 years since we snowshoed, and I am a little older and a little fatter so bending over to strap them on wasn't easy, but I managed.

I took some photos of her cavorting around like a frisky Arctic hare. Aside from her posture, in the first photo I also wanted to capture her tracks leading to the bench.




In the next photos, you can see her with her camera (phone) and tripod. That white thing that she appears to be holding in the first photo is an optical illusion, for it is a branch of a tree way over on the other side of the river.



Sue's drive to get the photo just right, got me out of the house with my camera. In addition to the above photos, I also took some non-Sue shots, but they will keep for another day.

18 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Sue knows you so well ... her brilliant plan worked.

Jeanie said...

These are great fun! I love that you both love photography and wish Rick was into it as much as I am! But I'm with you on not being out so much in this darned cold winter!

Barbara Rogers said...

These are fun shots and I think my fav. is Sue with the tracks and her standing on one foot!

gigi-hawaii said...

What a fun outing! I love these candid shots.

Vicki Lane said...

I am SO with you on the reticence/reluctance thing. And I admire you both for getting out in all that snow!

Marie Smith said...

It’s good to get out. It hasn’t been fit here for a few days and now the roads are in terrible shape. It will be another day inside! Glad you could get outside though.

Tabor said...

Glad you clarified on the branch as it looked as if she had a bazooka. I am impressed with the snowshoes. I have done cross country skiing decades ago and think I might be afraid to snowshoe anywhere.

Karen said...

I'd forgotten that word LAME. I must keep it.
I've been thinking about trying out the snowshoes too. These warm days it might be a good opportunity to stomp down a walking path through our bush. The COLD roaring back on the weekend will harden it up for walking.

Margaret said...

What fun to get out on snowshoes! I've always wanted to but thought it would be very hard. Sue's group sounds like a lot of fun and very motivating.

DrumMajor said...

That's a new song: Snowshoe Sue! Linda in Kansas

The Furry Gnome said...

Very nice, and a nice looking day too.

Joanne Noragon said...

Dueling cameras, or side by side shots?

Jenn Jilks said...

That's a lovely adventure!
I think I shall snowshoe tomorrow and get up off me arse.
I hope you get your surgery soon.

William Kendall said...

These are good shots.

There was none of the brief January thaw we tend to get.

Red said...

Great snow and shadows. Sue is a great performer.

Rita said...

Snowshoes! How practical and yet not seen much. Looks like fun! :)

DJan said...

It does look like fun. And the pristine snow is also very pretty. Sue looks like a pro!

MARY G said...

The snowshoe thing gets easier every day as the warmer weather stiffens up the snow. Sue should haul you out again tomorrow.