Saturday, February 19, 2022

Filling My Own Cart Once Again

Sometimes, I don’t know if we’re coming or going with this pandemic.

Our premier, Doug Ford, is beginning to loosen restrictions. Among others changes, on March 01, restaurants will no longer be required to check health passes. But I have already written this as well as the fact that it was hardly an imposition to have to reveal mine the other day.

The thing is, that this blight ain’t necessarily over. BA.2, a subvariant of Omicron (snippets and link at the end from a CNN article), is coming next. Who knows what impact it will have. Rumblings are that it could be worse than Omicron.

I guess we’ll just have to take care of ourselves. Restaurants will likely have to do without my custom while we wait to see what happens next.

I did make a recent breakthrough of sorts, however.

For the first time in 2 months or more, I did the grocery shopping in person. 

Although Sue can’t stand shopping, I don’t mind it in the least and was happy enough to ramble around the store, choosing what I wanted. I must admit though, that pickup worked pretty well when called upon, and it has become a pretty big aspect of the grocery shopping economy these days. 

Everyone was masked,  and I double-masked. I also went early when the crowds weren’t … um …  actual crowds. I am glad that masking is the one thing that won’t change right away. When it does, I and probably many others will continue the habit, at least for a time. Beyond Covid protection, so many people are reporting that they haven't had a cold in two years. We'll have to see how people react in the long term.

Whatever the case, it was good to get out. We sure didn’t get out yesterday, except to shovel snow, as an overnight snow storm caused school buses to be cancelled. At one time, that would have meant a day of babysitting for us, and we might very well have taken the kids to the hill to do a bit of sledding. Sue and I would probably have gone down too — at least once. I think we last did that 3 years ago, or maybe 4. I do know that we went down at least once in our 70s. Yay us!

I kindalike miss those days, but I did like getting out to the grocery store again.

=========================

New lab experiments from Japan show that BA.2 may have features that make it as capable of causing serious illness as older variants of Covid-19, including Delta.

And like Omicron, it appears to largely escape the immunity created by vaccines. A booster shot restores protection, making illness after infection about 74% less likely.

BA.2 is about 30% to 50% more contagious than Omicron. It has been detected in 74 countries and 47 US states. 

Even though BA.2 seems more contagious and pathogenic than Omicron, it may not wind up causing a more devastating wave of Covid-19 infections.

"Before this thing came out, we were about 10 feet away from the finish line," she said. "Taking off the masks now is not a good idea. It's just going to extend it. Let's get to the finish line."

CNN: As BA.2 subvariant of Omicron rises, lab studies point to signs of severity


17 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I'd heard of the new strain. I agree, we simply have to protect ourselves.
I don't think I knew Sue loathed shopping. I do, as well. JB goes in early, and it's quiet.
What a day. Another storm!

Marie Smith said...

Oh me nerves! These variants are going to be the death of me. Masks will be a way of life for sure!

Barbara Rogers said...

Sorry about your snow. Glad to hear you ventured into a grocery store. That's interesting about the variant. I've just had my 2nd booster (last one had been 6 mos. ago). Wearing masks really helps my nose run...I know, TMI! (too much info!)

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Call me skeptical but I'm sticking with the mask ... and the heavy-duty one ! Here in the States it has become such a political battle (thanks Trump and the crazies in "your" Republican party !) and we just watch the death count go up and up.

Boud said...

I'm continuing to mask no matter what. I have a supply of kn95s, and I haven't had any viruses for the two years we've been wearing them.

I order mostly from Misfits market, and son will pick up the occasional item I can't get. But doing a big shop in person is happily in my rear view mirror.

DJan said...

I will also continue to mask up indoors for the foreseeable future. I sure do hope that new variant turns out to be a nothing burger. :-(

Ed said...

According to the American Medical Association, BA2 doesn’t appear to cause more severe disease and our current vaccines are effective with it.

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/what-ba2-or-stealth-omicron-subvariant

I honestly can’t imagine the world you describe. Right or most likely wrong, masks are rarely seen and have been that way for a year now. It has been business as usual. Schools have always been in person and restaurant are fully open. Omicron tore through the area but our hospital never was overwhelmed. It is hard for me at times to compare life for us to how others portray theirs on the news.

Margaret said...

I dread the next variant because everyone is tired and angry and people won't deal with it well. (not that we've done well with any of the virus so far) I will continue to mask as well.

Vicki Lane said...

When one doesn't get out much, grocery shopping is a real treat!

William Kendall said...

I will continue wearing masks. Not getting colds the last two years has been welcome.

Terra said...

I went to Costco today to a hearing aid appointment. Most days shopping is my main social activity with a mask on, of course. Where I live masks are no longer required indoors so my church is following those rules. I watched a 2 hour interview by Joe Rogan today with a health and covid expert, and he discussed in more depth what you quoted. In essence, scientists don't know what the next variant will be like.

peppylady (Dora) said...

If people in my area took these covid seriously. I might have a different look on things.
But for now I will mask up.
Coffee is on and stay safe

The Furry Gnome said...

I think many of us will be continuing to wear masks for awhile yet.

Joanne Noragon said...

Another variant, another jab.

Red said...

I was betting that we weren't finished with covid and that we would get another variant. I hadn't heard of this one.

MARY G said...

About the snow. I felt so sorry last night for the poor cops trying to chase the remnants of the 'freedom' idiots out of down town Ottawa, with the snow blowing all over the place. I hope the ones who came from warmer places were issued lots of long underwear. Certainly the last of the protesters were bundled up. I was amused about the complaints about the use of batons. With that much padding on the perps, I suspect they were used for noise value and not much more.

Blondi Blathers said...

Scott and I will continue to mask as well, even though the current Saskatchewan government, with the brains of a gnat, has lifted all restrictions including the mask-wearing at the end of this month. Honestly our premier has behaved like an idiot throughout, to the extent that I am even more than usual disgusted with Conservative politicking. I double-mask too. You two lovebirds keep safe. -Kate