Friday, February 11, 2022

Little Updates

I sit in my chair from whence I can only see sky and roofs. I notice that the roofs are much less snow-covered that they were a few days ago. Oh, they are still mostly covered. What I mean to say is that the covering isn't nearly as thick.

We have had a few days around the freezing mark, and even above. It makes a difference.

One morning, I went out early to get the car washed. It has been busy over there, but I thought that it would be good at 7. So, I had Alexa remind me; otherwise, I would have forgotten.

The carwash was empty when I started through, but cars were lining up behind me before I exited.

Hermione the Honda had filthy for quite awhile, but one resists washing it in super cold weather when locks can freeze. On the other hand, once it gets milder, it gets wetter and slushier, so it gets dirty pretty quickly. That's winter.

======================

We have Omi on the street — in three households that we know of. Symptoms range from extremely sick, but not hospital sick (knock on wood), to asymptomatic. The sickest hadn't had the booster yet; the one with no symptoms had. That might not be the only reason for the difference, but I am sure that the booster would have helped that poor guy. It's not his fault; he was scheduled, but the rollout was slow to begin around here.

He is our snow angel by the way. Let us hope that we don't get another dumping before he is fit. Kidding: we will manage.

I don't think there's much deep cold in the forecast, and after the cold snap that we expect around Valentine's Day, the fourteen-day forecast doesn't look too perishingly cold. However, most days will remain below freezing — unfortunately. 

======================

The convoy is still looming large downtown but seems to have settled into a less rowdy state. There is a noise bylaw in place, which helps.

The authorities were totally unprepared for this. We'll see how long the protestors want to stay. They may not be losing income as it appears that American money has been pouring in. While GoFundMe has returned most of the $10 000 000 of donations that came to them, another funding site (I forget the name) has stepped into the breech and is chuffed to dole out the dosh.


15 comments:

Ed said...

For such things, I usually wait until after eight when most people are safely at work before going to them.

Barbara Rogers said...

Ha ha, my little Grey Dove (formerly Grey Hawk) just laughs in her grey state, knowing I'll eventually scrub off the dirt. It doesn't show as much on that dark grey! I have to get one of those scrub brushes to her before going through a car wash, because they don't scrub her hard enough. I just end up with clean dirt otherwise. Hope your truckers are going back to work, whether vaccinated or not. Our warmer weather is so welcome that I'm going to try going for a walk today!

DJan said...

Glad to learn that the trucker convoy is winding down. What a crazy time in the history of the world it is right now. We are basking in warmish temperatures here, and the sun is supposed to shine tomorrow! :-)

Karen said...

The snow slid off our west side roof with a big "thump" early this morning.
I live on a mucky gravel road so a car wash is a lost cause. I still indulge several times through the winter to dilute the salt as much as possible.

gigi-hawaii said...

Too bad about your friend getting sick. Sorry he wasn't able to get the booster. Those Canadians who are against the mandate -- they are insane!

Margaret said...

I read somewhere that 90% of the truckers are vaccinated so this is, I hope, a very vocal minority--probably encouraged and partly funded by the U.S. idiots who are also anti-vax, anti-mandate and pro-Covid. Hope your neighbors recover quickly and fully.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I agree with Margaret and put a lot of the blame on the US for the truckers protesting. Although it's my country I am ashamed of what we have become ... I had no idea that there was/is so much hatred going on and it just took a crook and disgusting man known as Trump to bring it to the surface. I hope I can live long enough to see it turn around for the better.

NGS said...

I'm watching this trucker convoy with concern. I'm sorry you feel like the authorities have abandoned you. Hopefully they'll give up soon, although it seems like they've really dug in their heels. :(

William Kendall said...

I hope the neighbours recover quickly.

MARY G said...

Nervous making, when the virus comes that close. We got the car washed today and then had to drive home through the slush. Oh well, she is better than she was.
Sun on the weekend - I will take the cold to get the light.

Joanne Noragon said...

I would never get up at that hour to wash my car, for any reason.
I hope your neighbor recovers soon.

Red said...

Your little updates are interesting information. The convoy blockade can stop anytime. they are on the wrong side if things and don't know it.

Marie Smith said...

It’s been mild here for a few days, above zero. We’ve been out. It was a nice break but the cold returns tomorrow night. Hope you neighbour recovers soon.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's just crazy out there.
I was so happy to see them moving them in Windsor. They have stalled somewhat.
I read an eye witness talking about how they are handing envelopes of money to people in the hotels. Crazy.
Too bad about your neighbours. Stay safe.
We'll meet up with the kids for Xmas after JB has his cancer treatment.
That was quite a change in temperature. I can't wait to watch the cats next time they go out the door.

Jeanie said...

I was glad to see the trucks out of Windsor. It's ironic that those who will most complain about the prices increasing because of supply chain will be among those who complain the loudest. I read about the emergency order -- that's good.

I hope all your neighbors recover fully. We just did Christmas with the kids last week to be careful.

My car is a mess. A washing is due! Have a great week.