Sunday, February 27, 2022

No More Bouncy Castles

It has been a week since the bouncy castles and hot tubs have been removed from the streets of downtown Ottawa.

I watched for hours last weekend and found the patience and restraint of the police to be quite incredible. The protestors were told time and again that their protest was illegal, but they refused to budge. The police calmly remained in formation for hour after hour. When they moved forward, say 10 paces, they would cry out for the protestors to back up. Most did, and those who didn't were arrested with just enough force to restrain the resistors. 

It was remarkable to me. I wondered how many countries would have been this restrained and orderly in removing law-breaking protestors after the three-weeks of hell that they visited on local citizens and merchants. As far as I know, not a baton was swung. 

If only, the protestors had made their statement and gone home, I would have had some sympathy, for that's how demonstrations typically have been done in democracies such as ours — hold a march, make your point, and then leave, perhaps to return on another day. But they didn't choose that option and were willing to interfere with the freedoms of local inhabitants on a continuous and sustained basis for week after week with no end in sight.

This weekend, however, we have been seeing how true, heroic protestors have reacted in the face of military aggression into their country. That is bravery. It may have been even braver for those protesting in Russia itself as some were arrested toute de suite.

I leave you with two graphics, with the hope of never again mentioning the ignorant assault on our capital city. 



13 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I couldn’t agree more!

Boud said...

I wish the police had been a lot prompter to arrest, impound vehicles etc.

Barbara Rogers said...

Our news doesn't even know where Canada is. So I missed seeing details like the awful hot tub...just read summaries from you bloggers in Canada. I knew it was done without any consideration of citizens. I do feel for those Russians who were arrested following their demonstrations (which I heard about on FB). I've seen maybe 5 news stories, which show the same clips in the Ukraine. I feel for them...how awful to have citizens killed! I also noted that FB gave lots of time/space for Ukrainian citizens to post photos of their homes before Russia invaded. I felt "managed" by the efforts to produce more affinity for the people, when a week ago we would have had just a minimum knowledge of their lives...like Canadians. I do hope you don't get invaded!

Margaret said...

I doubt that the police would have been restrained here--but many would have been in sympathy with the protestors. Unfortunately. A different sort of protest with different colored folks would be a different story in many places in the U.S. I'm heartsick about Ukraine and what's happening AND many of our politicians' reactions too it. Sickening.

Marcia said...

Great post! I had not read much about how protestors acted in Ottawa. George T. got it right with his comments.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm fan of George Takei. First time seeing blow up hot tub. There is way to make our point.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Blondi Blathers said...

We are in agreement on all these points, Mr. Cloud. -Kate

DJan said...

Watching the news and hoping for the best for Ukraine. It's a really tough time for many today, without the need for a bunch of truckers to make fools of themselves.

William Kendall said...

Very well said.

MARY G said...

Yes, I was really impressed with the police shut down. class act. I wish the protesters had also been a class act. A few things like the horns and the pressure on local businesses to let them in unmasked were just horrid - hooligan style.
It seems a shame, but I think that the streets around Parliament will have to be cut off to prevent the yobs from doing it again. I know there were good, caring people in that protest - I know of some of them - who took their rigs in, stayed one day and went home.
I disagree with some of the demands, but to lift the restriction on the border for essential truckers was not unreasonable and, I believe, a federal decision, unlike a lot of the rules. You could tell there were Americans in the mix, though, when the demand that the Gov Gen fire Trudeau was made. No understanding of how our gov't works. A pity Trudeau did not get into the mix and tell them off.

The Furry Gnome said...

And they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Jenn Jilks said...

Sadly, they haven't all gone home yet. They are diminishing in numbers, though. Still in Arnprior and somewhere else. They are predicting a convoy this week. Sorry to say.
It is incongruous, to say the least. Things are awful in Ukraine. I don't know that Putin will cave. I saw one sign that said, Putin, just cut to the chase and do yourself in in a bunker.

Jeanie said...

Brilliant. Your words, thoughts. Images. I couldn't agree more. And nothing like George Takei to put things in perspective.