Friday, February 18, 2022

One and Done

Valentine's Day took us out to the restaurant with the B Team — Bob and Barb. We also have an A Team, consisting of my daughter and her partner — Allyson and Alycia.

We are still presenting our health passports to enter restaurants. Rightly or wrongly, that mandate will end on March 01. We will probably be a little careful about venturing forth for awhile after that. Although restaurants could still choose to ask for passports, I don't think they will.

They are currently supposed to only run at 50% capacity, but it was more crowded than that when we arrived. However, we were early and some diners were probably lingering longer than expected. It was certainly well below 50% capacity when we left.

It was our fish & chip place. It was good but not as good as last time when it was fabulous. However, this was both Monday and Valentines Day. I think you take your chances a little bit on even an ordinary Monday when the best cooks might be given a day off after the weekend.

Before I get to my main topic (I know it takes me awhile. It always has even when writing essays in university. I was not one to quickly post a thesis and get on with it), I want to share the highlight of the meal. It occurred when an errant hand knocked over Bob’s beer. In. My. Direction! I got stickily wet, and there was laundry to do after we got back home.

Finally on to what I wanted to be the main topic when I started this. What I really want to post was what I ordered for dessert — believe it or not, a deep fried Mars bar. I have seen the option posted here and there and have always been curious about what the concoction would be like. 

The chocolate bar was enveloped in a dough before frying and came in a dish with ice cream. This ↓ is not my photo but is more or less what it looked like, which was not all that appealing.

It was something that I was interested to try once but will never order again. I mean I am probably rather lucky to have survived the sugar load of a chocolate bar, battered, fried, and presented on a bed of ice cream.

Mars bars are just about my favourite, but this was almost the ruining of it.

The Mars bar is British in origin and is enjoyed in Canada. American don't have this delight although a variation was once tried. From Wikipedia:

Mars, commonly known as Mars bar, is the name of two varieties of chocolate bar produced by Mars, Incorporated. It was first manufactured in 1932 in Slough, England by Forrest Mars, Sr.[2] In its British version the bar consists of caramel and nougat coated with milk chocolate. An American version of the Mars bar was produced which had nougat and toasted almonds covered in milk chocolate; later, caramel was added to the recipe as well. The American version was discontinued in 2002, then revived in a slightly different form the following year under the name "Snickers Almond".

Note: We also have a Snickers bar, which may be like the American, Snickers Almond.

I know that you will be tempted to chirp at me over my extravagant and sinfully ridiculous choice, but you honestly don't have to tell me that this was a bad thing to do. It was a one and done experiment.

23 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

I think deep fried Mars bars are a thing in Scotland. :-)

Greetings from London.

Marie Smith said...

Worth a shot though, AC. You are braver than I.

DJan said...

I think just looking at the picture raised my blood sugar a little. :-)

Patio Postcards said...

Well trying it & getting over it is probably a good thing ... it will stop you "worrying" I wonder, I wonder ... :)

Boud said...

I think that would be a split the dessert between us for me!

Barbara Rogers said...

That definitely is a sinful dessert. I like MilkyWay bars, which are just a chocolate covered nougat - no caramel, no nuts. That way I no longer break a filling when eating my once every 6 months candy bar. But they aren't as popular as Snickers so sometimes are hard to find. Speaking of eating, I just finished my English muffin with Marmalade! Yummy! That's good for my sweet tooth for breakfast.

NGS said...

In the American state of Minnesota, there is a relatively famous State Fair. This fair is known for all sorts of fried foods, including cheese curds and deep friend desserts like Oreos, Milky Ways, and Nutty Bars. When I lived in Minnesota, going to the state fair was a ritual that included watching horse shows and eating all the deep fried foods. I imagine I would love this concoction.

Ed said...

When I see something on a menu that I have never tried before, I usually order it. Sometimes it is a big strike out but occasionally it is a homerun.

Our state has an annual fair every year that is known for its fried things on a stick. Every year there are dozens of new entries, including (I kid you not) a whole stick of butter fried on a stick. I've never tried that one but I did go for a snickers (American kind) on a stick and on top of a bed of ice cream. It was okay, but like you, probably not something I will ever get again.

gigi-hawaii said...

I think it is great to share a meal with friends at a restaurant. I probably would have died eating that dessert. LOL.
As for your question on my blog, here is my answer:
No, I don’t have any contact with them. My maternal grandfather was born and raised in the North. He is the one being honored as a Patriot of Korea. His wife was born in the South. They met and married in Hawaii.

Tabor said...

never tried fried candy bars and never want to. I do think you had a day that you will remember, though. We have never had to show vaccine cards here, just wear masks and many are now dropping that even though the B version of Omicron is growing in strength!!

MARY G said...

I first found out about this treat when the ED was living in Glasgow. I thought they were confined to Scotland though.
How are your arteries today?
(I have always wanted to try one!)

Margaret said...

I love the idea of JUST going out. Our state mask mandates are dropping in March but I'll still wear one and not go out too much in public. (until I see what that does to the virus numbers) I would try a bite of that dessert or share it; I'm not a fan of most candy bars so I wouldn't probably be a big fan.

William Kendall said...

I think I'll stick to takeaway food for a good long while to come.

Red said...

I've always wondered about the fried mars bar. Now I know. I don't have to try it.

Joanne Noragon said...

I was confused for a minute. I loved Mars Bars when I was a child. But in my dottage, I've given up candy bars, which explains why I did not notice their demise in 2002. I could not eat that concoction, either.
I was afraid the beer fell into your treat. That would be quite a waste of good ice cream.

Vicki Lane said...

Oh dear-- that is so untempting. Thank you for trying it so we don't have to!

Celia said...

Interesting dessert. My best friend who is a transplant from Texas to Washington State (where I live) told me that nothing is exempt from being fried in Texas. She had gotten friend ice cream (???) at a State Fair. I'd try your dessert once if it was a Mounds bar, dark chocolate over coconut.

Celia said...

Oops, make that FRIED ice cream not friend. :-0

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sure is different up there. Nothing really much done for covid in my neck of the woods.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Jenn Jilks said...

Good for you for having a new food! We need to treat ourselves these days. There is no way I want to eat in a restaurant, though.

Jeanie said...

Of all the things that would be deep fried, I'd never think of a Mars Bar! I wish we had vaccine passports here. Alas. You guys are so much more civilized than we are. Even with Ottawa...

Christina said...

An absolute classic here in Glasgow! I never ate a fried mars bar myself because I worry that it might be fried in the fish oil.

Blondi Blathers said...

One in a blue moon ain't gonna kill ya! That's my motto. It does look gross though. -Kate