Wednesday, February 02, 2022

Faffing and Chuffed

You’ll please pardon me for feeling chuffed after faffing around in the kitchen and making french toast for breakfast. (I don't care what they say. Somehow I don't feel as though I need to capitalize "french" when we are talking about toast. On this hill, I make my stand.)

Sue can be fussy about things like toast being well done or crispy, and I am pleased to say that the toast passed muster. Apparently, it was crispy enough to to suit  

I have tried to make french toast twice before, but not a for quite a long time because it didn't go very well.

I think the difference was that I got the pan hotter this time before laying on the bread. 

Also, one commenter on the recipe that I used suggested to slightly pre-toast the bread if it was fresh. I did that — very lightly before soaking the bread in the eggy batter. It worked, or something did.

But I am almost as pleased to have used both faffing and chuffed in the title and now being able to sneak them into this post for a second time.

I have usurped both words from my British mysteries.

Let’s face it, the Brits do words better than we colonials.

It was nice to do something different for breakfast although we are planning on going out for breakfast tomorrow, which is now yesterday for you. 

We be time travellers here.

20 comments:

Boud said...

I like both words. Chuffed has also meant fed up, like chocker. One of those words that depends on context for meaning

To be really authentic and northern, you can say "dead chuffed!". when you're very pleased with the French, or french toast. We can talk about frenching beans, so why not french toast.

William Kendall said...

I'm of the opinion that it needs to be soft, and not crispy.

Barbara Rogers said...

I sure have never chuffed nor wuffed, though possible whuffed when having breathing difficulties.

NGS said...

I'm with William on this. It should be slightly soggy, not crisp. Isn't it funny how we have such strong and different preferences?

Ed said...

I've been pondering what faffing and chuffed was going to be about since I saw it appear on my feed yesterday morning. Now I know. Not what I was expecting.

Vicki Lane said...

I love both words! Yep, the Brits have some good ones--worth stealing.

MARY G said...

Hmm. I have been waiting for this post since yesterday.
And the type of bread you use makes a difference also.
Chuffing I know. Like chugging, only sooner.
Faffing? Um. Looking this up to see if the long form is permissible in a family blog.
French toast looks wrong to me without the capital. But, if you french something, the capital looks wrong, even if Google wants me to use the upper case. Sigh. Have to look this up in both American and British usage. Report later. Much later. I am now hungry for toast fried in egg batter.

gigi-hawaii said...

I love french toast! I know two Brits here in Hawaii, and they don't use those words around me.

Celia said...

Love french toast. I make it out pf sourdough bread from our local bakery. I lean towards a little crisp. And I like strawberries on mine. My British born Grandpa (ethnically a Highland Scot) gave us lots of words people don't used here but no faffling or chuffing. Wish I'd paid more attention when he was still around.

Celia said...

Sorry about all the typos today.

Margaret said...

Everything I know about British idioms is from the Great British Baking Show-they are chuffed at their successes and gutted at their failures. I like a crusty outside on my French toast, but soft inside. However, I'm much more of a waffle person. Although both are probably correct, I prefer French to french. :)

Tabor said...

I think that most bread is too fresh to cook as French toast. It was my understanding they used stale bread as a way to make it go longer.

Marie Smith said...

Hope brekkie was good.

The Furry Gnome said...

You can make french toast for me anytime!

PipeTobacco said...

Chuffed is a word I like to try to use on occasion. Gaffes is new to me.

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco said...

Argh….. autocorrect! I mean faffing….not gaffes.

Rita said...

Love the British words. Glad the french toast worked out well. Good tip to pre-toast a bit. :)

Jeanie said...

I co-opt Brit words for my vocabulary too. They're just better words.

The French (or french) toast sounds great. I love it and don't do it often. I had once read slightly stale or dryer bread worked best (soaks up the egg better) and the toaster is a nice cheat for that. Must remember!

Jenn Jilks said...

I'll bet Sue was over the moon! JB cannot cook for beans.
Well, maybe he can do beans, but he'd likely burn them... just sayin'!

Blondi Blathers said...

Canadian Press style is french toast, french-fried, french bread, french door, etc.
-Kate