Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Remembering Old Jokes

I was recently reminded of a joke that I heard quite a long time ago.

Roy Rogers was out riding his horse one day in a fine new outfit. Suddenly, a mountain lion attacked him.
He began his escape on Trigger, but the cat was able to maul his new boots, before Roy got away completely.

Once he got home, Roy was so angry that he told Dale that he was going to go back with his riffle, find that darn mountain lion, and shoot him.
 

 He did just that. He laid the unfortunate critter across his saddle and rode home to Dale.

Seeing Roy approach, Dale sang to him “Pardon me, Roy, is that the cat who chewed your new shoes?”

Since that was short, here is another old fave from my past. I searched online for it, but no version quite aligned with the one that I remember. I have done my best to tell it as I think I heard it and told it to my students back then.

One morning the poor handyman got up and went to do a job. He didn't have much in this world: a few tools, and his beloved dog, Mace.

He said goodbye to Mace and told him, he would buy some food on the way home. 

However, when he got to his job, he discovered that the wrench that he would need for this task was not with his tool other tools. He returned home in a state of anxiety, for without the wrench, he would not be able to do the job and purchase food for himself and his beloved, Mace.

Perhaps he would find it somewhere in their little hut.

Alas, it was not to be. He could not find that doggone wrench. 
He was quite distraught because without the wrench he couldn't finish the job, wouldn't get paid, and wouldn't be able to feed himself and his dog.

He wandered in the garden in a state of despondency wondering how both he and poor Mace would manage.

Mace had one peculiar habit for a dog; he would graze on the grass from time to time.  And when he went over to Mace to hug him and weep for them both, he saw that where Mace's grazing had uncovered the wrench, he was sitting right next to it.

In great joy, the man went right inside and penned the words to the glorious hymn which has been sung with great reverence to this day: A grazing Mace how sweet the hound that saved a wrench for me . . ." 


17 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

OMG! You are a card!

Ed said...

Must be too early for me. I don't get the first one. I did understand the second one though.

Marie Smith said...

The first one was beyond me, the second is hilarious! PS, my husband always has to explain jokes to me.

Patio Postcards said...

Ha Ha Ha. Yes indeed a card you are & should be put in a pack & dealt with (lol).

Happy St David's Day, Happy Pancake Day.

Boud said...

The first one was told me many years ago by a boss who couldn't finish it for laughing! It's one of a few Chattanooga choo choo jokes. Fortunately I've forgotten the others!

Anvilcloud said...

@Marie and @Ed
Of you poor poor people
🤪

Pardon me, boy
Is that the Chattanooga choo choo? (yes yes)

https://youtu.be/FdrYYUuT07Q

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks, I guess. I will now have those two as ear worms for a while. Argh!

MARY G said...

I am trying to think of something awful enough to pay you back for the second one.

William Kendall said...

Groan!

Margaret said...

That second one is quite the play on words! The first went right over my head.

Marcia said...

"Ouch" to the last one!

Joanne Noragon said...

Haha. See you tomorrow.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I heard of Roy Roger, Trigger, and his wife Dale. But never heard of Mace.
Coffee is on and stay safe

PipeTobacco said...

They were both funny!!!!

PipeTobacco

Mage said...

Delightful. Both.

Rita said...

If you didn't know the Chattanooga Choo Choo song you wouldn't get the first one. My dad would have LOVED these and found them hysterically funny. Myself--I chuckle and roll my eyes. Dad was a pun man, like you. :)

Kay said...

OK, you made me laugh.