Thursday, February 10, 2022

An Invigorating Photo Shoot

I said, or maybe threatened, to post some other photos from Sue's wintry photographic extravaganza. 

It was a nippy day but not quite as frigid as much of our recent winter weather, so it was semi tolerable.

My digits did get very cold despite my special photo gloves. When you peel back the 4 fingertips that you need to manipulate the camera, they do get a wee bit frosty, even with the rest of the hands covered. Also, although they are described as winter gloves, I think that means for an American winter and not a Canadian one because they're not all that well insulated. (I do know that the northern states in the Great Plains have it pretty darn cold, but I trust you know what I mean. For the most part Ontario cold and New Jersey or Tennessee cold are not the same thing.)

My first photo, or at least my first non-Sue photo, was of the bench with the river ice in the background. This is similar to the few photos that I took in January, but I like to see the sweep of the ice on the river in the background.


I liked the arching branches in the background ↓ framed by other, nearer trees. I also appreciated that there was some snow on the trees.


I decided to zoom-in on just those trees.


Nearing the car after Sue was done, this ↓ was my final photo although on exiting the car and beginning my trek with Sue across the frozen tundra, it has been the first scene that drew my attention. I like the layers that give the photo depth, beginning with the grasses, and extending to the snowy trees and sky in the background, with intervening layers of ice and open water.
 

While it would be preferable to have time and tripod for a photo with such depth, I was getting anxious to get back into the warm less cold car, so I pressed the shutter and hurried along. I think I got a pretty good result, though.

It was good to grab a few photos after a long period with very little photographic activity. 

They call such cold, invigorating, and well, yeah, okay.


19 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We are heading out today to take some photos. Your excursion resulted in nice ones. That winter light is unique!

Boud said...

New Jersey and Tennessee are in totally different climatic regions, never heard them lumped together before! ;)

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for braving the cold to create such beauty. Yes, artists sometimes must suffer for the muse.

MARY G said...

Yes, the cold is insulting all right. (Blogger does the same thing to me.)
I like the last shot best. Peaceful.
I just put up a photo of green trees and grass as wallpaper. Snowed out.

William Kendall said...

That is the one drawback of winter. It makes things challenging for the photographer.

Anvilcloud said...

@Boud. Yeah, no. While there are differences, they are technically in the same climate zone, at least according to the Koeppen Classification system. They both fall into the Cfa zone, or warm temperate.

Margaret said...

Love the snowy/icy pics especially the last one with the grasses. They do add lovely contrast to the photo.

Anvilcloud said...

@Mary G: Thanks for that little pickup. I am not insulted that you noticed.

Marcia said...

I like the bench photo best. Everything is a similar color except the tree.

Boud said...

Thank you. Interesting, since it's a thousand miles south of where I live in NJ. Live 'n learn.

Celia said...

Beauty all around. :-)

peppylady (Dora) said...

Nice photos. The snow is sure melting here in North Idaho.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Red said...

I really like the trees and shadows. You are just proving that it's cold on the fingers!

The Furry Gnome said...

Oh, #3 is great!

Joanne Noragon said...

You have lovely landscapes to work with.

PipeTobacco said...

I very much like the tree-line photograph….. even though all are attractive.

PipeTobacco

Rita said...

I love fresh, pristine snow! Great pics. :)

Jeanie said...

It does look like an invigorating photo shoot! But a good one with good results. Love the snow on the trees and you're so right about the layers!

Blondi Blathers said...

Glorious winter beauty.
-Kate