Thursday, February 17, 2022

The Music in My Noggin

More than once, a certain friend has asked what music I listen to. Basically, I don't. Neither of my two main photo friends understand this because they live life completely differently.

My music is in my head. I often wake up with a tune in my noggin. This morning, it was a chorus that I may never have sung, but it is still somewhat meaningful to me.

It is a simple little gospel chorus, as are many of my head songs.

Friendship with Jesus
Fellowship Divine
O what blessed, sweet communion
Jesus is a friend of mine

When I was a boy, our little Sunday school classrooms were set around the periphery of a larger hall. It was in that hall that the men's class met. Near the beginning of the session, they would sing the above chorus that popped into my head this morning more than sixty years subsequent.

My dad was the teacher of that class, and I could hear him expounding on the lesson some time later.

Meanwhile, my mother was teaching a teen girls' class in another room like mine.

I was quite pleased to think that they were doing important things. Upon later reflection, I don't suppose that they were terribly important, but it felt like it at the time, and I was proud of them.

Much of my internal music is church related.

It is a little strange to have these tunes in my head now, for I have been an unbeliever for many decades. 

Still, I have fond memories of those childhood and teenage times. Unlike many who have moved on from belief with unhappy memories, my memories are mostly pleasant.

I decided to look for the song on YT, and to my amazement, I found Jimmy Swaggart singing it. I had no idea that he was still around after his more renown exploits. I have started the clip near the end when he goes into the chorus twice. (This was posted in 2020 and may or may not have been recorded at that time.) 


I watch a clip like this with conflicting thoughts. On one hand, I can recall some of the emotions that this may once have evoked in me. On the other hand, however, I think of how immaturely emotional it is. Although that is probably not quite the phrase and concept that I am looking for, it will have to do for now.

I noggin other music too, mostly older songs or Celtic tunes, but very few top 40 hits, let me tell ya.


15 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I can understand how the memory of such music stays with you, even after all these years. As a child, feeling the security of the place with your parents doing the “important work” would have made a huge impression. I would welcome any good memories with respect to religion.

Barbara Rogers said...

How wonderful it can be, to harken back to some good times especially when tied to music. I sure had many a year with Sunday School music, but have preference now for that Celtic music, as well as other instrumentals including the classics of Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Brahms etc. However, my hearing isn't impaired either, though my brain probably is.

Boud said...

My favorite music is early. Medieval and Renaissance. People who ask look at me a bit blankly! Not a familiar choice.

Interesting to have parents teaching in church, quite a memory.

William Kendall said...

I listen to a lot of different music, but when I'm working or writing, it's instrumental, like film scores, jazz, or classical. Lyrics have a way of creeping into the work.

Margaret said...

I still remember some of the hymns from church but have an issue remembering any lyrics so my singing is extremely limited.

DrumMajor said...

Surely you and Sue have some fond tunes you danced with or still do, from those lovely Top 40s songs. Linda in Kansas

Vicki Lane said...

Church music does linger. And some of my favorites are old time gaspel--though I too have long been an unbeliever. I've often wondered if other religions have similar 'popular' songs--Buddhism, Islam?

Red said...

I have a similar experience about sacred music. I also look up the old hymns on you tube and it's surprising that you can hear so many. some things we can never get rid of from our heads.

The Furry Gnome said...

I also remember the big Sunday School hall with the small group meetings around the sides. And my mother taught Sunday School. And my memories from those days are also positive. As for music, who knows?

Joanne Noragon said...

I had to leave my church when I was 17. Nevertheless, many, many of the hymns still circulate in my head.

peppylady (Dora) said...

My mom use to use term "noggin"
Coffee is on and stay safe

Terra said...

I noggin tunes in my head too, often from decades past. Lots of old English folk songs I sang years ago. Recently I've been singing "Silver Dagger". Church songs stay with me too.

Jeanie said...

I love that as a child you were proud of your parents teaching Sunday School as doing something important. That really made me smile. I find it odd how I can pull out jukebox songs I knew when I was a kid but can't remember the answer to wrodle from morning till night.

MARY G said...

I could have written a lot this post - I wake up with hymn tunes running in my somewhat addled brain and my mother taught Sunday School.
It was 'Jesus bids us shine ...' the other day.
I thought my mother was important too, and was terrified when I ended up in her class for a year. She was tough if you did not have the assignment done.

Jenn Jilks said...

I was in the church choir, and had happy memories.
Poor JB was an altar boy, and just remembers all the indoctrination. That and the small town Catholics never liked the Protestants.