Sunday, February 20, 2022

Pretending that I am an Expert

I think I have done it to myself.

You may recall that for a few years, I have played Sudoku in the morning. Typically, I have played two games. First, I play a Hard game allowing myself to make notations, and that usually takes around 20 minutes. Then I play a Medium level game, sans notations. That usually takes 10 minutes, give or take.

A half hour isn’t bad. I am retired after all.

I recently decided to try the Expert level. I probably shouldn’t have done that little thing.

I have played Expert level before but decided not to continue because it can take a lot of time.

But I recently tried expert level again and then again and . . .

. . . and I might be hooked.

Sigh.

At every level there is a gradation of difficulty, and you never know what you are going to get on any given day. Hard games, for example, can range from almost medium difficulty to almost expert. So although my average time for Hard is just slightly under 20 minutes, a game may take me any time between 10 and 30 minutes.

But a normal, median time on this blasted Expert level seems to come in at about 45 minutes, and some games have taken a little more than an hour. Yesterday was a treat because I completed it in just under 32 minutes.

What have I done to myself? I seem to feel driven to keep playing at this level, and I do have the time, but . . . well, I don’t quite know what.

So while the world is consumed with Wordle and is posting daily results online, I have gone in a different direction.

I did try Wordle and even introduced the game to Sue and possibly a few others, at least by extension. Now, Sue plays and posts her results daily while I soon tired of the game. Some of my capitulation was due to the luck of it. A lucky first guess could lead to solving the puzzle in 3 tries. Less luck at the beginning could result in using up all 6 tries. While I did always manage to complete the puzzle on every one of my games, I decided that I didn’t want to keep at it.

Once again, I march out of step with the rest of the world.

Addendum: Go figure. I wrote the above on Friday. Yesterday, sudoku gave me a very easy Expert level puzzle, but in effect, it was really only hard level difficulty and not even very hard at that, for I solved it in 19 minutes. I imagine there will be payback when I get to it later this morning.


12 comments:

Jeanie said...

Rick rocks the suduko. Me? Not so well. Easy and medium are my zones. I'm liking wordle and have an almost perfect record -- but yesterday couldn't get DODGE to save my soul!

Barbara Rogers said...

I used to play sudoku as a "coffee break" at work - a time away from the maddening crowd, so to speak. I always have had people to work with that, shall we say diplomatically, challenged my poise. I don't think I ever lost it, but I sure felt that challenge! Glad you enjoy it. Now it would remind me of those years...so I just chug away at Klondike solitaire. Which I can do while watching most TV and movies actually. That's why I sometimes see them again and see something I missed completely the first time. I'm sticking to that reason rather than memory loss!

Rita said...

Not into any type of math or numbers games. Not my thing. But my dad LOVED playing sudoku! :)

DJan said...

I enjoy Wordle because it's only one a day and it's not all that hard. I always start with the same word and sometimes that helps. Other times not so much. :-)

MARY G said...

We do the Globe sudoku and it starts with easy on Monday and hits expert on the weekend. I just blew today's - I thought I was good until the centre square. Grumble.
I am getting tired of Wordle too. What you use for the first two words, plus luck, determines how well you do. Sudoku requires skill and concentration - no luck to it.
Grumpy grammar teacher was also good at math. Some of the time.

Marie Smith said...

These puzzles are great for the brain!

Margaret said...

It sounds like you are giving your brain LOTS of exercise. It's a good thing to do any kind of puzzle. I do Wordle and Wordi (graded for how much time it takes) and enjoy them although I do NOT post my scores.

William Kendall said...

I only go for crosswords or word searches.

Joanne Noragon said...

My mother did the crossword and the sudoku every morning, over breakfast.

The Furry Gnome said...

And I think I'm doing well to finish the easy version! I may have to up my game.

Red said...

I like playing Sudoku on line. I find that each sudoku seems to have it's own levels of difficulty.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Never played Sudoku.
Coffee is on and stay safe