Friday, February 25, 2022

A Page from the Past

Thanks to both Boud and Mary G yesterday for educating me that the GRI VI inscription on the medal stands for George VI Rex Imperator (King and Emperor). I updated that post but am acknowledging their contributions here.

Also, someone asked about the black item at the bottom of Sue's photo link. It is her grandfather's compass from WWI, and it still works. The batteries are still good, eh?  😁

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm not sure why I have kept my stamp album from my boyhood days, for there is nothing of value in it, but I have held onto it regardless. I have taken it with me from Montreal to Toronto (Cooksville), Sarnia and now here to Ottawa (Carleton Place). There may or may not have been intervening stops in Guelph and London, but it probably remained with my parents in those university days.

I collected stamps when I was a boy of about 10 and 11 years, maybe 12 a little bit. That would be from around 1957-59.

This is part of a page from the Canada section. To my mind the tilted stamp of King George VI and HM Queen Elizabeth is the focal point. The royal princesses are featured in the green stamp to its left of that. Above the royal couple and to the right it lies yet another stamp of the couple. That one is the 1957 issue while my focus one is 1959. Above that is his father King George V and his Queen, Mary. There are a number of stamps in the lower section, mostly featuring his majesty. 


I enjoyed philately, but it overwhelmed me a young boy. The world is a big place, and a boy without much in the way of funds didn't know how to keep up. If a mentor would have told me that I didn't have to collect stamps of the world but could just concentrate on a few countries, perhaps I would have kept at it. Alas, I had no mentor, certainly not my parents. 

As evidence of my lack of mentoring, I remember getting approval stamps from a company. I purchased a set, but all that I knew was to plop coins in an envelope and send them to America. Naturally, the company didn't receive payment. After they asked for payment, I wrote back in my still childlike script telling them that I had sent the funds. They apparently, just chalked it up to a loss, for I never heard from them again.

The stamp book was also getting out of date, and I would just stick stamps onto a blank page and tuck it into the book It just seemed wrong to me, however, not to have a proper page with an image of the stamp. While one could possibly have purchased yearly updates for the album (I am not sure of this), that wasn't going to happen in my circumstances.

So, I put the hobby aside. I guess, however, that the collection, or even that time of my life, meant something to me, for I have since carted the album around for close to 65 years.

18 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Cooksville (Mississauga)!!!! Did you know Centre Rd & Upper Middle?

Those stamps are amazing. Will you purchase any of the platinum jubilee stamps to round out this page/collection?

MARY G said...

Wrong queen consort for George V. Wickipedia says "Mary of Teck was Queen consort of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions, and Empress consort of India, from 6 May 1910 until 29 January 1936 as the Spouse: George V ​ ​(m. 1893; died 1936)​
Lovely page of stamps. You were a very tidy child, obviously.

Tabor said...

Makes me sad. When I moved out of my home my mother threw out or gave away everything I had left behind including my stamp album Oh well.

Jeanie said...

I have my dad's stamp album -- some are rather old. I'd like to sell it -- I don't know what to do with it and it's hard to find a good appraisal so it sits on the shelf. Some are very beautiful. I do have first day covers our friend sent us when new stamps from England were issued and have saved some myself but in a haphazard way, not in an album, just because they were pretty. I should use them for a craft project. For SOMETHING!

Your stamp page is really beautiful and reminds me I need to tackle this sometime.

Barbara Rogers said...

I think some of my sons collected pennies, because I remember seeing some albums at one time or another. Yep, I wasn't a mentoring parent for their collections. Did I collect anything as a child? Don't remember until becoming a teen girl, enamored by horses, having several big plastic ones. One was like Silver of the Lone Ranger, and it had a saddle that came off.

Margaret said...

As a child I flirted with both stamp and coin collecting but didn't have the knowledge or patience for it. I still have my husband's coin collection which I haven't figured out what to do with.

Rita said...

My dad collected coins but I didn't collect anything really but rodents--LOL! I had hamsters, mice, rats, guinea pigs...and sold the babies to a pet shop nearby. My folks would rather I had collected stamps, I think--LOL! ;)

DrumMajor said...

That's a charming story about your adventures in stamp collecting. Print it out, and save it all for a grandchild or great-grandchild's report for school. They are pretty. Linda in Kansas

Marie Smith said...

Those stamps are a great snapshot of that time. AC.

Anvilcloud said...

@Mary G: Yes, it did say Mary. I should have double checked that. Of course, you would know about Mary. 🤪

William Kendall said...

An interesting hobby to have.

Jenn Jilks said...

That is really cool!

The Furry Gnome said...

I collected stamps for several years back then too. And I enjoyed it.

DJan said...

I never collected stamps, but I hung out with people who did. It was fun to go into stamp shops around the world to look at them. :-)

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm not serious stamp collector but I do have stamp collection of people.
Coffee is on and stay safe

rare said...

good article

ITTELKOM JAKARTA

MARY G said...

I just found JG's father's star from Italian campaign - a pleasant discovery. I am so impressed Sue has the whole collection. Good for her.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Many years ago (grammar school days), I also collected stamps, and had an album which traveled with me to each new residence. Most of the stamps had been purchased in packets so it is doubtful there was a rare one among them. A few years ago, I decided it was time to get rid of the album and am unsure how and when that happened. That said, I remain fascinated with stamps and always look for colorful ones to attach to mailed correspondences.