Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Brain Fog on Family Day

Monday was Family Day in Ontario, and I think most provinces celebrate something or other on that day or sometime in February.

Apropos for the day, we had the family over for lunch and table games. Lunch was simple: mainly sandwich fixins on sourdough bread.

After lunch we played Wizard, Uno and Yahtzee in that order. Somewhat to Danica's dismay, we always pronounce UNO as you know instead of the Spanish, oohno. We can't help ourselves because we said it that way many years before we knew any better, and now the right way seems wrong and vice versa.

Before I go on to Sue's photos, let me tell you how weird my day was, which gets us to the Brain Fog of the title.

With the help of the cat, I got up sometime around 5 or maybe 5:30. But I was feeling tired, so I did something that I don't do — kipped for another hour or more on my chair. I guess I shouldn't have, for that, or something, threw everything out of whack for me, and I was tired all morning, despite getting more sleep that usual. I even attempted to get a few minutes nap just before the fam arrived, but as I was drifting off, I was awakened by having them arrive earlier than I expected. And that left me groggy and in the wrong head space, let me tell ya. Too bad really. 

After they left, I did have a very short kip, and felt somewhat better afterward. My rhythms were really thrown off that day. (I think it is too late for me to learn how to spell ryhmtumss 😉 without spellcheck having to come to my rescue.)

Here are the pics, all Sue's. The first is Wizard, which Danica won.


Then came UNO. I was so brain dead that I just stared perplexedly at the cards before the concept of the game came back to me. We only played a few rounds, and I'm not sure who won, but I know who didn't.



JJ won at Yahtzee. He scored a Yahtzee (5 of a kind) and did it again for a big bonus. He got a high score unlike any result I can every recall seeing. Meanwhile, the die may have picked up my vibes because they weren't turning over for me. When you roll a pair on your first roll but can't roll a third iteration on two more rolls of three die, well what can you say?

Sue was probably thinking about keeping some cards up her sleeve for possible future 365 prompts. (Did you notice what I did there — cards up sleeve?)



Brain fog or not, it was a nice break in the dadblasted month of February, which really is the pits in a northern winter. Today (Tuesday) with a freezing rain warning, the kids have another day off school, after Friday being a snow day and Monday being Family Day. That freezing rain was supposed to begin a few hours ago and hasn't started yet, so it may eventuate that the snow day hasn't been necessary. But I'm sure the kids won't complain. (Note: it did happen in the afternoon and evening.)


16 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Habit, pattern and schedule are more important as we age. It doesn’t take much to throw us off these days. My husband is a creature of habit and doesn’t adapt as easily to a change in routine.

February is a dreadful month but then again, we are on the white side of the sod.

DJan said...

I have those kinds of days now and then, no matter what month we are in. It's really cold here but at least the blasted wind has stopped.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Game playing with actual game pieces vs. on line is reportedly better at keeping the ind active, so your family is certainly massaging the brain cells, AC.

William Kendall said...

I've never played UNO.

Barbara Rogers said...

Sorry about foggy day in your brain...I liked seeing the whole fam having a good time together. I feel like sleeping a lot today, it rained during the night so I didn't sleep all that well. I have news! Just saw the first Robin outside my window. But all is still grey and wet out there.

MARY G said...

Sounds like a lot of my days, minus the kids. I miss my kids. You are lucky to get to see yours as often as you do, even if you do lose at Uno. (You no, for sure. When you are counting in Latin, it is 'uno', 'duo', both accented on the first syllable, both hard sounds, that is 'u' is 'you', 'duo' sounds like our word for two people together. Or so my Latin teachers said them.
Note, I got 'syllable' right the first time, for once.

Margaret said...

I'm always groggy and in a brain fog if I try to nap. Frustrating. I haven't played UNO much but we used to do a lot of Yahtzee. I can't spell that word either! :)

DrumMajor said...

No matter how we sleep, I think many of us are having brain freezes. The weather gets warmer, and we can feel the sludge come to life again. Then the weather gets cold again. We've gone from 63 to 4 degrees F in one day in K.C. The birds and flowers are just as confused. Hibernation for humans is a good thing. Linda in Kansas

gigi-hawaii said...

You all were dressed in warm sweaters so I can imagine how cold it was. Nice family photos!

Terra said...

I like that your family plays card games. Maybe I will get a pack of UNO cards. Is it easy to learn? I hope you return to your regular sleep patterns, our bodies and brains do best that way.

Vicki Lane said...

Family Day--what a nice idea. Restore my positive view of Canada.

The Furry Gnome said...

We couldd use a break in this February weather!

Joanne Noragon said...

February is the longest month of the year!

Rita said...

What a fantastic day--even with brain fog! :)

Jeanie said...

I love this idea of Family Day and how you and your family celebrated. Every photo made me smile big. What a wonderful tradition -- just relaxed and fun!

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely family day!
JB has no interest in board or card games. I am not sure why! Of course, he cannot spell, despite being an avid reader.