Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Macros and Prints

After purchasing those photo lights for Beloved, I stopped by Giant Tiger for a couple of inexpensive plants. Sue used a calla lily in a few of her 365 photos. I got out my macro lens and also took some photos.

It has been so long since I printed a photo that I decided to do that too. One reason for the great printing slowdown is that I lost one of my two display venues — the busier one — due to the closing of the business. Another is that my printer is acting up. It is wrinkling one corner of the page and also smudging a bit of ink in the margins. While both could be covered up with matting, it doesn't seem like the best thing to do, particularly with less demand these days.

But I wanted to print anyway, just for me and not for display. I added my signature to the image. The signature is authentic but now digital after scanning it from a pen on paper sample. I have used it a lot. I also printed another photo looking up the river during golden hour.

One more thing about printing before I go on to finish the post.

I recently looked on the Canon website for a replacement printer. Except for a few very high end models, there was nothing available. By nothing I don't mean just for larger photo printers like mine but almost nothing, period. It is probably a combination of microchip shortages and delivery problems.

I also have another calla lily photo. I now like it better than the one that I printed, but I didn't at the time. This is why I chose to print that other one. I did a little extra tweaking to this one ↓ afterward to get it to this point. It's a little warmer in tone than the print and a better crop, I think. If I ever choose to print for display, I will probably choose this one. I have found that flower photos don't tend to sell, but they still garner some admiration by passersby, and that is almost as good. 


I also photographed the tradescantia bubblegum plant ↓ which just has pretty leaves and no flowers. This was a tough shot as there are so many leaves beyond the two that I wanted to focus on. I had to fiddle with cropping in post.


Macro photography isn't my very favourite type of photography, but on cold winter days, it suffices.

This next one wasn’t meant to be part of this post, mostly because it didn’t exist when I wrote the above. It comes from another of Sue’s 365 prompts. She was supposed to use red and drop something in a container to cause a splash. When she was done with her fussing, I took this shot. It’s not the greatest, but neither of us had the time or inclination to perfect the shoot on that day.



15 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Beautiful photos. Your calla lily is gorgeous & oh that golden hour on the river. I like Sue's splash/red - that flower painted glass makes for an interesting base for the splash. I did not know you could get fresh plants at Giant Tiger.

DJan said...

I do like that second calla lily photo best. And the red in the last one really pops! :-)

William Kendall said...

Wonderful shots.

Barbara Rogers said...

Beauty all around you! Love them all equally. Mmm, maybe I should choose just one. Nah, can't do it.

gigi-hawaii said...

They are all beautiful, but I just love the Bubblegum plant! I like the colorful leaves and the interesting lines on them.

Margaret said...

I love the prints! I hadn't realized how far down the line this chip shortage is reaching. I do have several flower prints in my house because I like them and do buy them.

Vicki Lane said...

Callas are amazingly photogenic. Your shots are beautiful!

Marie Smith said...

The splash is a unique photo. Pretty too. The prints are beautiful!

PipeTobacco said...

Can I assume you borrowed the camera lights to take you very beautiful flower photos? :)

If I remember correctly from when I recall you mentioning the photo lights you bought….. at least one was a “circle light” I believe. Is that correct? I may have the terminology wrong, but I meant a light that encircles the lens and projects an even glow from it? If so, is that what you used?

PipeTobacco

Red said...

You do have fun trying different things. that's how we learn.

The Furry Gnome said...

Remarkable macros! Well done.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Looks like velvet, oh how want touch it.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Jeanie said...

The photos are fabulous and so detailed. I'm impressed by the quality of your printer, although that folded edge must drive you nuts. But the prints look good to me. I used to do macro before digital and when I was doing more art photography. It's a challenge. Your work is beautiful.

Rita said...

Beautiful!
Impressed by your printer. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

I get it, just don't have the energy for a lot of things.
They are lovely photos, to me!