Friday, July 03, 2020

Vivid Sunrise and Gentle Barns

This was the morning: the morning that I finally arose early enough to get out for a possible sunrise — if only I could find a location.

What had happened was that when I first got up at 3 o'clock the full moon was looking rather splendid hanging low on the horizon. Of course, I was much too late to shoot the moon, and it soon descended out of sight. But I guess it stirred my photographical juices, for I got myself out of bed by 3:30 and was soon on the road.

I got to the site that I was interested in well before sunrise and was taking my first experimental photos by 4:20. I remained there until sunrise, but it wasn't the best spot, so I took a long route home, not intending to take any more photos, but, of course, it happened.

As I drove past a farm field, I spotted a better sky than I had seen previously this morning, so I stopped on a sideroad around the corner. The ensuing photos were all taken within minutes of one another, around 5:40 or an hour after my first photo of the day and about 20 minutes or so after sunrise.



I was at an intersection and became quite interested in two different barns, one on the southeast corner and the other on the northeast corner.

This was the barn on the southeast corner: the sunrise of the two previous photos was to the left. I find myself being drawn more to gentle light photos these days, and I certainly like it better than the two sunrise photos, above. Of course, part of the issue is that the sunrise photos did not have anything thing else going for them, apart from the sunrise. They were just a sunrise without anything else particularly interesting in the composition. It's not that there is anything wrong with just a sunrise, but I am speculating on why I like the barn photos better.


I then took a photo of the barn on the northeast corner, and I like how it turned out too. It is more saturated than the above photo, but I think appropriately so.


I find it interesting how there was different light from almost the same spot, from the vivid sunrise, to the gentle light in the first barn photo, to the more saturated outcome of the final image.


14 comments:

Shammickite said...

You certainly get up very early! But it's easy to wake up early when it gets light.... not so easy in the dark depths of winter. Lovely sky and very photogenic barns.

MARY G said...

Love the light in number 3. I didn't make it up until 5:00 ... mackerel pink clouds, no focal point. Sometimes just a sunrise is enough, though. Your first two are just fine.

gigi-hawaii said...

I like that blue tinge of the barn. Spectacular sky scenes.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

How quickly it all changes! I love, especially, that first sunrise photo.

Silver in AZ said...

The early rise was well worth it!!! Thank you!

Margaret said...

3:30, whoa! But it was definitely worth it for these photos. I think our eyes are attracted to a variety of colors and shapes, as well as contrast; the barn photos have more of those than the plain sunrise. (which is gloriously colorful!)

Mara said...

The very first photo is my favourite. Over the second photo, which to me seems lacking in some way. As if there is too much green in the photo which does not sit well with the sunrise. If you don't understand what I mean, don't worry, neither do I.

DJan said...

I like them all, but especially the first barn photo. That gentle light is mesmerizing. :-)

Marie Smith said...

The play of light is wonderful. The photos couldn’t be more different.

Joanne Noragon said...

Every sunrise is a mystery. Love the fence in first picture.

PipeTobacco said...

The yellows in the first two are utterly beautiful!!!

PipeTobacco

dellgirl said...

These sunrise photos are absolutely amazing, they're "Nature's Therapy" at its finest! I could sit and sip hot coffee and watch these until they disappear into the vast blue yonder.

Happy 4th of July to you and the family! Wishing you all the best!

Rita said...

Even though you show me brilliantly what I am missing...I shall stay in bed--LOL! Wow! :)