Thursday, July 16, 2020

Pakenham Five Span Bridge at Night

Bob has a powerful flashlight which comes with a red filter, and he has been itching to try shining it on the 5 span bridge at Pakenham. This is a unique stone bridge, I believe the only one of its kind in NA. Perhaps I recall of once reading about another, but I think there was something different about it. Maybe it wasn't 5 spans.

Unfortunately for him, the normal bridge lights were also on, which inferred with his intention somewhat. I didn't mind the normal lighting and tried a few photos with my wide angle lens to try to get the whole bridge in the frame. I did try other shots too. Perhaps I will post them at a later time.

One can shoot from either bank. We tried the east bank last night. I still could have gotten more of the farthest span in the photo. I may have other photos that are a little wider.

From the north and west side of the bridge

We are experiencing very dry conditions, and the water is low. Above: you can see just how low, for the rock shelf to the left can be mostly covered much of the time.

As it was, we were able to walk under the bridge to take some photos from the southern side. I think I like this best because the sky is somewhat more interesting, and I also have a little more of the bridge.


Just before we packed it in for the evening, I took one more quick photo ↓↓ with a boulder in the foreground. I shone some light from my headlamp onto the boulder but then had to pull back the exposure in post because it was far too bright. I like the idea. If you can find some foreground it can add dimension, but there wasn't much to choose from here as the rock was pretty flat for the most part.


Meanwhile, Bob was playing with his red light. I was somewhat unaware that he was taking this photo that included me. He captioned it: The Devil left Georgia and came to Pakenham .... Funny guy, that Bob.



Bob likes to play with photo setups while I am more of a straight shooter. I do like to dabble in the edit phase, however. I haven't yet seen his other red filter images, so I don't know how successful they were.


13 comments:

DJan said...

Interesting pictures. They are a little too dark for me, though, except for that last one. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Good work on capturing an interesting bridge...and I hope you keep taking more photos of it. My preference would have been the first one, especially if there had been a bit more light given to the foreground...gradual but to help set the scene. The dark foregrounds seem to be too dark for my amateur taste.

Margaret said...

I like that middle one because of the reflections on the water, and the interesting sky. I LOVE that bridge; it's gorgeous!

gigi-hawaii said...

I like them all but love the first one. It's more romantic.

Mage said...

I like the photos. Yes, there you are in red.

Marie Smith said...

My favourite is the first one but all are great.

PipeTobacco said...

The bridge photos are beautiful!!!! I was just thinking about the “blue hour” images from a day or two ago.... and I was thinking..... at THIS time of year, that occurs pretty darn late in the evening!!!! I am not sure I would feel enough energy around 9:30 to go photograph scenes!!! Maybe in January when the “blue hour is closer to 5pm! :) Your late night photography forays shows a lot of fortitude in my book!!!!

PipeTobacco

Joanne Noragon said...

You generally include some foreground interest, like the overhanging branch in both shots.

Rita said...

That is a gorgeous bridge! I like the pictures of it from both sides---just plain without the foreground rock. Impressive!! :)
The red you--kind of spooky. ;)

dellgirl said...

These photos of the Pakenham Five Span Bridge at Night are absolutely amazing! You really captured some beautiful angles and shots here. Thank you for sharing this inspiration.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend! Stay Safe, my friend!

William Kendall said...

Yes, it is the only one of its kind on the continent. It's been years since I've last seen it.

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful shots!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Fun bridge shots, especially the one with you in red, AC. I think the lower water loevels were actually quite helpful in showing more of the bridge details.