Friday, July 10, 2020

Heat Oppressed Ramblings from the Back Deck

It is still early — before 8AM — and I am on the back deck with my iPad. It’s still shady back here, and there is a breeze. We back onto a busy street, but I can seem to shut out the noise, so I will try to appreciate the weather for a few minutes before it heats up intolerably.

We set the AC for 24C/75F, but the house runs degrees hotter on the second floor, so it gets a trifle hot up there sometimes, particularly in my small den which contains both a computer and a fridge.

It takes a lot for me to go shirtless, but that’s what I have done in bed for the past two nights. I got a tolerable sleep that way, but Sue is more affected by the heat than I and she spent a few uncomfortable hours.

Oh well, it will break tomorrow to more normal summer heat rather than this really oppressive  heat plus the high humidity.

Even the cat seems more docile than usual. She hardly pestered me for the habitual hand feeding this morning. Yes, she still likes me to dole out kibble even though her dish is nearby.

As I continue to sit here on the deck, it is probably not cooler than the main floor, but it is breezier, so  I think I shall make a piece of toast and return here for awhile longer.

One more thing, thinking it was cooler when the sun went down last night, I thought to go back to the bridge to take a blue hour photo looking upriver again, this time with my good camera and not my phone. I got all ready, exited the garage, and promptly turned back into the house because it was still so flaming hot.

But I continue to appreciate the current breeze here on the deck, so I shall let you go while I go and make my toast, so that I can spend a little more time outside before the heat droves me indoors.

14 comments:

DJan said...

I am so sorry to hear of your extended heat wave. We didn't even make it to 70F yesterday, and it rained most of the day. Our summer hasn't even started yet. I am not complaining, though. :-)

Margaret said...

The 90+ heat here has gone, but now the rain is here. As a PacNW person, I'm OK with that. Finding a shady spot is a perfect solution. I don't have A/C at home, and my upstairs can get very hot when we rarely have a heat wave. I use hillbilly AC which consists of a fan right next to the bed, and some of my younger daughters ice packs from gymnastics. :)

Marie Smith said...

We’ve had a cool breeze for a week or more. It feels like 40C today. Ugh!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

We've had a horrible week of 90s heat but today it is supposed to rain and then cool off for the next week until it is supposed to get too hot again...But AC is such a blessing. We are spoiled!

Barbara Rogers said...

I also had breakfast outside, where it was 70 for a while, and opened my windows to capture the cooler breeze. My granola and coffee were perfect for getting me going, but I have been moving pretty slowly so far today. And here it is almost noon, and I have accomplished very little...so I know it's summer. Soon maybe we'll have rain, another summer-time treat. Hope you have coolness coming soon.

William Kendall said...

Last evening I left to go take a photograph at a spot nearby, and turned back for home within two blocks. The heat was too much.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

How nice to have an outside deck to sit and enjoy before the heat returns. We miss the front porch we had when living in VA, but not enough to consider becoming homeowners again.

PipeTobacco said...

“Blue Hour”? I like that! I imagine it means dusk, correct? I like the literary quality of that phrase. I had not heard it before.

PipeTobacco

Mara said...

I hear you about the heat. I sleep in the attic and when it's nice on the first floor, my floor is absolutely boiling! And no fridge in sight...

Hope the weather cools a bit. Warm is nice, hot is another thing altogether.

gigi-hawaii said...

Poor guy!

Joanne Noragon said...

You have my full sympathy. Enjoy the toast.

Rita said...

I do not do well in the heat, either. Totally empathize! We've had so many 80s and 90s since spring it's been depressing because we went so quickly from being closed up because it was too cold to being closed up because it's too hot. Bummer. I hope it cools off for you soon.

Red said...

I don't like hot weather. I tolerate it but am not a happy camper.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's been awful, hasn't it?
I don't know how people without A/C manage. We've a ceiling fan over our bed, and it's saved us. The house, up to 28 C.