Sunday, July 05, 2020

Saturday Morning

In my humdrum and banal life, Saturday morning was a bit of an adventure, but permit me to segue to the weather, for it is related, before I describe my adventures.

By golly, it has been hot here, and there's no relief in sight. Temperatures remain in the 85-95 range along with high humidity. It may go down into the low 80s next Sunday, which is hot enough, but every day between now and then will be torrid. It has also been droughtish, and we find ourselves doing a bit of watering every day. We really need rain.

Now for the adventures; for whatever reason I'll begin with the second event.

Living in a townhouse, our backyards require access through other people's' properties. The way that it is done in our little section is to double-fence. There is one fence between our properties and the street and another to keep our yards private. But the access strip between the two fences belongs to the property owners, and it is up to us to maintain.  Being out of sight and usually, therefore, out of mind, our caretaking efforts tend to become a little lax by times. When I say a little lax, what I really means is that it can become quite jungle-like back there.

With it being so hot, I determined to get back there to do some mowing and weed whacking early in the day before the heat became too oppressive. During the whacking of the weeds, I got quite a whacking myself as my weed trimmer lifted and tossed some lilac branches that I had trimmed both last autumn and this spring.

Said branches whacked my bare legs pretty good below my shorts, and when I came back into the house blood was dripping down my leg from more than one cut.

Mind you, this was after my earlier experience of running down the street in my pjs carrying a bag of garbage in one hand and a bag of recycling in the other.

You see, our garbage pickup normally takes place on Wednesday, but that was Canada Day, so it was rescheduled for Saturday. We never know the pickup schedule. However, the earliest time will be about 9:30, and they often don't pick up until late afternoon.

There I was, sitting at the computer in my pjs just a little after 7, not at all concerned about not having yet brought the garbage to the curb, when I heard what sounded like the garbage truck. I looked out the window, and sure enough it was the garbage truck and it was already passing our house, and I hadn't put the trash out yet. It is rather a miracle that I heard the truck at all because I don't put my hearing aids in until Sue arises, which is often many hours after my rising.

I hurried down the stairs, as much as this semi lame old man can hurry, that is, grabbed the two bags, and ran outside desperately hailing the truck to wait up a sec. Thankfully, the truck did just that and one young collector took pity on me, met me partway, and relieved me of my burden.

Thankfully, both the garbage and recycling had been bagged and were ready for me to grab, for that is not the usual case. We keep the garbage out back but for some reason I had already brought it to the garage earlier. Sue had also dealt with the recycling. Neither of these things are usually done ahead of time, but on this day, both were.

That was my Saturday morning, or at least the early part of it. These are not big adventures unless you are at my stage of life when even cutting your toenails can be an event.


15 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I can just picture this!
Weve 100 m to the end of the driveway, so JB packs it up Saturday for Monday. He's not obsessive-compulsive, much.
Those weed wackers are quite the thing. I'm surprised you wore shorts!!!
I'm having trouble with toenails, too. But I can't SEE them properly!

Marie Smith said...

It sounds like you have our heat. It is 14 here, not too bad temperature wise but with the rain not so good. Wish we could share.

Everything feels like an adventure as we age. I can picture you with the garbage AC. Smile.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We will be getting a similar heat wave starting today and I’m thankful we have no yard work. Hope your legs are healing from the plant attacks. Thankfully, we have a trash room located steps from out apt and bagged trash just goes down the chute. Recyclables are another story as these should be taken to a green room which for us is on the 2nd floor and we live on the 5th floor, but it can be done wearing PJs and without chasing a truck😉

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Oh, my! A little too much excitement...We usually put our garbage our on Thursday night for our Friday morning pickup because they come really really early....I agree with you about the heat. I do not like it. We are supposed to have some rain on Tuesday which will be quite welcome.

Marcia said...

Being in quarantine we have had to call the concierge to have someone come to pick up our trash and recycles. That ends today at 5:oo. Yippee! Back to putting it down the chute in the trash room or into the recycle bin.

Barbara Rogers said...

Shorts to weed wack! Sorry about your heat. Mountains are in 80s daytime, but below 70 a lot of nights...though so humid I don't often open the windows to enjoy night air like I once did. I wish I had a picture of you in pj's carrying your trash bags at a hop down the street. Good that your ears were working that time!

DJan said...

I wish I could share some of our cool temps with you. In the Pacific Northwest, summer doesn't unofficially begin until after the 4th of July. It's been rainy and cool, just the way I like it. Now it will begin to heat up. :-)

Margaret said...

Those would be exciting times for me as well. Perhaps not during a pandemic, but definitely now. I put out my garbage and recycle for tomorrow, so I'm good to go. (thanks for the reminder!) I am not looking forward to the hot humid weather of NY. Our temps are so refreshing right now, low 70s.

Shammickite said...

Your Saturday morning was a bit too exciting. You may have to go to bed early just to get over it.
Yes it's bleddy 'ot here too.

gigi-hawaii said...

Yeah, that is hot. Our temperatures range from 72 to 88 F. I am glad that the young fellow was nice enough to help you with the trash. You had enough excitement for the day.

Kerry said...

I always thought you lived in BC, but I see now that you're in Ontario, where it really does get hot, doesn't it?
Here in our neighborhood the trash doesn't get picked up until mid-day, which is kind of nice for us forgetful types. :)

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I never realized that you got the same heat that we do in the Southern part of the U.S. I don't care for air conditioning so have overhead fans in each room ... OK until it gets in the 90's.

Joanne Noragon said...

It's that hot and dry here, too. Every morning I lug ten gallons of water to the deck to water my friends. They appreciate it.

Rita said...

Those both qualify for adventures in my life, too. ;)

Blondi Blathers said...

"Even cutting your toenails can be an event." Ha! Ha! I love getting older.

"our caretaking efforts tend to become a little lax by times"

Your blog is the first time I've seen anyone use the phrase "by times." At first I thought it was a typo, that you meant to write "at" times, but no, I've just seen it again! Is it commonly used around Ottawa or is it just you and where you originate from or ... ?

Kate