Thursday, July 09, 2020

Pickup and Sleepover

Morning: still not much past 7. I am already hot and also have an ear worm, which is being a nuisance.

It is only 70F but with humidity at 93%, I am feeling it. Of course, not wishing a repeat of running down the street in my pjs carrying bags of garbage, I did do a little more morning bustling that usual, getting the trash sorted and put out early, but of course they aren't coming early today. Whatever! It's hot already and will go into the 90s with feels like temperatures being in the 100s by late afternoon.

As for my ear worm: I have one that I am not appreciating. It's from the movie, White Christmas, which we watch every Christmas season in these later years. It's not my fave movie, but I don't hate it. Sue likes it, so we watch it.

My ear worm is the song, I Fall Asleep Counting My Blessings. which I guess is really entitled Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep. It is not that great a song anyway, but when the only line I remember is I Fall Asleep Counting My Blessings, it's darn irritating. I hum the tune or part of it, but the only words I have in my tiny brain are what I just wrote twice above, so I am not going to repeat them again.

It's almost 7:30. The garbage is out. Sue and Danica are still sawing logs as the saying goes. I awoke at 4, but no one cares that I am all alone in these mornings. It's sad-making, really.

The Danica sleepover came as surprise and came after I got a desperate call: "JJ and I walked to Tim's (for a icy smoothie sort of drink), but the heat is killing us. Will you pick us up and drive us home?"

It was 34C/93F at the time with a feels like of  93C/106F, so yes of course I would pick them up. I will pretty well do what they ask, within some sort of reason, of course.

And that somehow led to a sleepover.

Sleepovers are different than they used to be. Danica stayed up while we went to bed. But now she sleeps-in a bit whereas in bygone days, we couldn't get her to stay in bed even until seven-zero-zero, which is how we said it before she could tell the time. She could look at the clock and see the three digits.


One thing that hasn't changed in 11 years of sleepovers is that, after supper, I take her to Shoppers Drug Mart, which is just around the corner. Back then, of course, her treat wasn't makeup but probably Beanie Babies or whatever they're called, But it almost always included ice cream and still does. Maybe someday, when I  am old(er) and feeble(r) she will take me to Shoppers and buy me ice cream. Of course, being with her is treat enough. Another change is that since I have become gimpy, we now drive rather than walk, even that short distance.



Enough for one morning. I hope it isn't too unbearably hot wherever you may be and that this post wasn't too awfully banal.

19 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We haven’t arrived at the one of the kids stays over while the others go home yet. It looks like fun!

Barbara Rogers said...

Good morning John, I hope you have a good Thurs. I was the other end of sleeplessness...couldn't get to sleep last night, tossing and turning (and coughing) for hours. I tried milk and cookies, and taking ibuprofen for the aches and pains. It was probably related to having a doctor appointment this morning, as well as eating a heavy late dinner. But that didn't make it any more fun. I was worried I wouldn't wake up early enough to get stuff done this morning, so I'm glad I woke at 7:30. Glad to hear you're enduring and have grands there with you...the heat sounds awful. Do you have air conditioning - it doesn't sound like it. Sorry to hear your mobility is a problem - and I think you probably have stairs. I hope your day looks up soon.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I can't believe how Danica has (it seems suddenly) become such a beauty. The heat seems to be getting to all of you and I can relate... the southern portion of the U.S. becomes unbelievably hot in more ways than just the heat.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Heat and humidity will be the weather here in NH the next few days and we are also suspending our downtown walks and driving to stores. Hopefully, Danica will treat you to ice cream in the future. She is a lovely young girl and of course you would do anything within reason for her and JJ.

MARY G said...

Yep, same hot here. My grandkid is out on the highway selling at a strawberry stand. Not a great day for it, but the weather break is now showing on the forecast, if we can handle the next few days.
I love your granddaughter's fashion sense.

MARY G said...

You rat! You have infected me with your ear worm.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I'm afraid it is going to be well into the 90s with possible rain later....How wonderful that you have sleepovers with your granddaughter. Wonderful for both of you.

Marcia said...

Ditto on the weather here. We did have a later than usual breakfast on the balcony and it was warmer than if I'd gotten up earlier. I too like a commenter above had a rough night sleeping. I need to avoid the caffeine by the afternoon but mad the mistake of having a cuppa caffeinated yesterday PM. Won't do that again. I saw the 12 am clock the 1 am clock the 2 am clock and then the 4 am clock before sleeping then til 7:45 am. I could use a nap very soon.

gigi-hawaii said...

Danica has beautiful hands. They are not wrinkled. As for the ear worm, well, it could be worse. That line in the song is kind of cute.

Margaret said...

Beautiful nails and hands. I desperately need a mani-pedi, but even if I were to get one, my hands are definitely one of my worst features. Hot as Hades here too. A/C in the airbnb and went out for an earlyish walk. But I was drenched in sweat anyway. We PacNW people aren't used to this kind of humidity!

Jenn Jilks said...

What a good grampa!
This is fun. I have been getting up around 5 a.m. JB goes walking at 6, so it all works out. Sadly, next week, when the kids are here we'll have to tuck them into bed about the time we go!!!

Vicki Lane said...

That's so sweet--and a sweet reminder of my own grandfather taking me to buy treats--which went from tiny toys to comic books to, yes, makeup.

DJan said...

I love that picture of Danica sleeping along with the kitty across the way. You are very fortunate to have such a dear person to brighten your days. We are having damp and cool weather and I wouldn't trade it for anything! Especially not such awful heat.

A Cuban In London said...

Cor, that's hot! :-)

Greetings from London.

Joanne Noragon said...

Danica is always a good read.

dellgirl said...

Having Danica over for a sleep over, so sweet. I love the photos, she's a beauty. Wishing you all the best! Stay Safe, my friend!

Rita said...

Love that the cat wanted to be nearby sleeping with her.
She looks like a real bright spot in your life. :)

William Kendall said...

Fortunately I've never heard that song, so it won't ear worm on me.

Mage said...

It is supposed to be 90F here today. Me, always cold since they put in the double/triple pained windows.