Monday, July 20, 2020

I Bestirred Myself

We did quite well early on in the pandemic, managing to get out for a walk on most days and also doing some exercise indoors to fill in when we couldn't or wouldn't go out. Back in those early days, the wind seemed to be howling on most days, and there were days that we didn't want to face it, which is when we would do a YT routine indoors.

On these walks, I would grab my cane, and off we'd go on a hobble. It isn't a heap of fun to be bothered by a sore foot and to walk with a cane, and some days were less fun than others. It is also not all that joyful for Sue to have to slow down her pace to to my crawl.

But we persisted until around the beginning of June when the hot weather came. And boy oh boy, when it came, it really came. Neither of us do particularly well in the heat, and Sue really suffers with it. About the only time she isn't boiling hot is on the coldest day in January when the windows are wide open and she is wearing only flimsy clothes.

Yes, I do exaggerate a bit, but I think the exaggeration does reveal that it is a serious issue. She will sit in a ladies' coffee circle, for example, and be sweating while the others are bundled in layers. It's crazy!

Anyway, we stopped walking although we didn't really mean to. And we also stopped exercising indoors to YT videos. It just gets boring, y'know?

But I am feeling my legs getting weaker, so off I went in the wee hours this morning while it was still semi cool and while Sue was still slumbering.

Me, my cane, and my shadow.


I am not sure how much the cane helps, and I can certainly get around without it. In fact, I don't use it unless I go on a deliberate walk. I certainly don't use it in a store or to walk across a parking lot.

With phone in hand, or at least in pocket, I took a few photos. In fact, I am prone to take more snapshots with my phone than my regular, bulky camera.

When I got around the corner and into the park, I took a few photos of the pond. The sun was up, so I tried to find a spot where it was hidden from the camera.



The houses that fringe the park often try to buffer their property with flower beds and so on to give the illusion that it is their property and thus keep wanderers at bay. I can't make up my mind what I think of this. On one hand the gardens do add to the ambiance, but on the other hand, it seems rather bold and smacks of privilege to me.

You can see the edge of their actual property in the background of the first photo.


This is a very nice rock garden but well outside the property boundary, but it doesn't bother me as I see this one as more an attempt at beautification than of exclusion.


Some people make a wide buffer, but these owners have just made a narrow one, basically where the stones begin.


I did rather like the light through the fence as I exited the park. I would be less likely to take this photo with my big camera.


When I got home, there was my compact camera (not my main camera) waiting right where I left it — on the floor, near the door. I had meant to bring it on the walk, but I have a mind like a sieve.

The advantage of a compact camera over a phone is that the lens does zoom. When you employ the zoom, the image is still recorded on the whole sensor. When you zoom on a phone, you are effectively cropping the image and only using part of the sensor. However, this is fine for most phone shots to show on social media. When I use the phone camera, I don't usually zoom. I might as well crop later on the computer. It amounts to the same thing.


And that was my morning walkie. My foot didn't bother me excessively, and I feel mentally better for having made the effort.


14 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

How delightful. It's still in low 70s here, so windows are open. Not too humid, but definitely there with all the trees, grass, and either dew or rain drying still. When the sun gets over the mountain to the east, I'll be closing everything up and going on to AC. I loved your early phone photos. It is certainly easy to have a phone in a pocket rather than carry a camera.

DJan said...

I enjoyed walking with you in the early morning. And your pictures are wonderful. Thank you for sharing your saunter. It bestirred me to write this comment. :-)

Margaret said...

Good for you! I love photos with reflections in water for some reason. That's interesting about the flower borders; it wouldn't have crossed my mind, but I see your point about them trying to discourage walkers from public land. (by making it appear private property) I have that same fence except that mine has a top on it!

Marie Smith said...

In the heat, we walk after 7 a.m. it is often cooler then with a bit of a breeze here. It’s kept us active despite the heat and humidity.

Love the photo of the light through the fence.

gigi-hawaii said...

Your foot hurts, but you still managed to walk and take photos. Nice photos, by the way. My knee hurts and I can barely walk.

Red said...

You built a few things around your walk. You told us ho to take better photos.

Joanne Noragon said...

Super pictures, especially the fence.

Rita said...

I use my cell phone camera all the time. That's why I don't get excellent photos like you do--LOL! Sore feet are a real problem. Glad you can get around with your cane when you can find a cooler time of day. ;)

Mara said...

That fence photo is a delight.

My phone camera is not very good and the photos are worse. I prefer using my big camera, but it is bulky and when hanging around my neck does bother me somewhat. Fortunately I also have a small point and shoot one that I do take with me. Not the best of photos, but better than the phone.

Vicki Lane said...

Nice shots! And good for you getting out before the heat. I hobbled down to the garden this morning before the fog burned off for a quick harvest of tomatoes, zucchini, and cucumbers. I I don't pick stuff every other day, it gets too big or, in the case of the tomatoes, something gnaws on it.

I use my hoe as a walking stick-- as much for balance as anything. Of course, I don't take it other places-- I have a nice tall, collapsible walking stick for that.

A friend suggested that I get a sturdy monopod for my camera that could double a a walking stick. I may look into that.

PipeTobacco said...

I do like the images. The flowers were especially “HDR-ish” and pleasantly vivid.

For me, the heat is “tolerable”.... but the intensity of the sun itself is not comfortable at midday even wearing sunscreen. So, like you I have taken to very early exercise for me.... sometimes as early as 4:45am (but usually 5:30am or so).... then I avoid the harshest light of the sun. It is interesting that although I turn very read (sunburn) very easily, now going out at the earliest daybreak and getting the lightest amount of sun (and still often with sunscreen), I have actually visibly tanned a bit. I do hope for cloudy days though.... much nicer.... and allows a later morning exercise experience.

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco said...

“Read” in the above was meant to be “red”.

PipeTobacco

dellgirl said...

Good for you that you did your walk and even better that you felt better afterwards. Keep up the good work, you're doing great. These photos are beautiful, you got some really nice shots. Stay Safe, my friend . . . Wishing you all the best!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have also neglected our walks lately for similar reasons. First, there was a lot of thunderstorms, almost daily, and then a heat wave.neither of us enjoys the hot weather which was a reason to relocate years ago. I should follow your lead and get out early before the city begins to awaken. The light through the fence is a shot that I would also have taken as light and shadows always catch my attention.