Friday, July 17, 2020

Happy Friday

Happy Friday everyone. The term probably has more meaning to me than to most people because in our former community those who worked in the petroleum plants negotiated a a friday holiday every third week. This became known locally as Happy Friday. .

I hope this selfie causes a mild amount of happiness.


Not so happy and mighty scarey is this:
"Federal law enforcement officers have been using unmarked vehicles to drive around downtown Portland and detain protesters since at least July 14. Personal accounts and multiple videos posted online show the officers driving up to people, detaining individuals with no explanation of why they are being arrested, and driving off." Link
Or this (I can't find the post again, so please forgive me if I'm slightly off):
I read this morning that Florida has more new cases than the top 20 countries in the EU combined. These countries have 5x Florida's population.
In other news, I recently obtained an Agatha Christie book from the library. I picked a title that I recognized from the Marple episodes that we recently watched. I was quite surprised to find that there was no Miss Marple within. The tv series (both of them) adapted the story to include Miss Marple, and they adapted very freely, let me tell you. The newer Marple basically copied the older Miss Marple.

It is almost 7 o'clock, and I will head out to do the weekly grocery shopping in about an hour, hopefully before the store gets too busy.

Here is one more photo from the bridge photoshoot of Wednesday evening, this time concentrating on the span that was nearest to me. There are mild hints of Bob's red light in the photo.



19 comments:

DJan said...

I love your selfie, which did give me a laugh. Your lipstick is what makes it perfect. And our country is is dire straits with the virus right now. I've decided to stay away from pedicures and hair salons for the near future. I do like that bridge shot. :-)

Marie Smith said...

The selfie is great and bring a smile. I needed that today. Thank you.

The photo of the bridge is wonderful!

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow, getting a Friday off and calling it Happy Friday...that's great! I love vistas, where my eye is drawn off into the distance but with something close up to tell me where I'm standing...both in real life and in photos. Your bridge frames the river that's receding away. Very nice.

Margaret said...

Although that color looks great on Sue, I don't know that it's the best choice for you. (tactful!) Made me smile this morning. FL, as well as many states, is an utter mess. What about Georgia and their idiotic governor? Even my own state is struggling. I hope the feds aren't going to start hiding numbers. That's what they seem to be trying to do! I love the ambiance of that bridge and the lighting.

gigi-hawaii said...

We have Aloha Friday every week here in Hawaii. That means people can wear an Aloha shirt or a Muumuu to work. On other days, they wear business attire.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Your selfie made me think of Carmen Miranda...We need a selfie video of you and Sue dancing!
Your Miss Marple comment is the reason I didn't like the new versions even when the acting was good. I have known the Miss Marple books for years and the liberties these writers took with the stories did not seem right to me. It was a shame. The Joan Hickson movies are the best.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have not shopped in the evening, so I don't know what it is like at that hour. I usually arrive right as the store opens and it is easy at that time. Yesterday I went to Costco, not knowing that they have reverted to normal operations (other than no samples and everyone wearing a mask) and it was the normal crowded, cart-bumping session we expect at Costco. I will be there as the doors open next time!

Silver in AZ said...

Fabulous dual selfie! And what is happening in Portland is the stuff nightmares are made of. Seriously.

William Kendall said...

The bridge is a beauty.

dellgirl said...

Happy Friday to you and Sue too! I hope you're having a great day so far. I love the selfie. Ditto what everyone else said . . . it made me smile. Wishing you both a wonderful weekend! Stay Safe, my friends!

Haddock said...

That bandana looks cute.
It is sad and really alarming about the way Florida is going.
Like that pic of the bridge.

Joanne Noragon said...

This Portland business is frightening.

Rita said...

Selfie drama is cool! ;)
Our country is in a crisis with the lack of governing. That's an understatement, I know.
No Miss Marple in the book?! What?!
Love that bridge. I hope you got everything you need on your grocery trip. :)

Mara said...

That photo is beautiful. So atmospheric without being atmospheric really. Strange how some photos do that.

We are experiencing more and more freedom here, although some are taking more than they should, which brings us back to the less freedom place again. We will see how it all pans out. Hopefully no US ideas, because that would be devastating to several nations around here!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

That shade of lipstick is just not you AC ! On a somber note the Portland stuff is pure Trump. He is determined to kill us all who don't see it his way, absolutely appalling. That aside I love the bridge picture. Did you know that there is actually a word (EBBERMAN) for a man fishing under a bridge!

Jenn Jilks said...

I enjoy your selfies!
The US is in a mess. We're a bit better, but so much violence against people of colour. The racism, it's still shocking to me.
On Facebook, I see a well-to-do white, female cousin posting a right wing meme about politically correct name changes of sports teams, for example. I reposted it, with the piece from Pavlovitch:
"If there is evidence of privilege, it's to feel so insulated from adversity, so inoculated from suffering, so immune from struggle, so unaffected by reality—that you could simply turn off the news, because the act feels inconsequential to your existence."
We white people have no idea.

The Liberty Belle said...

Fun selfie and such a nice photo of the bridge. Which Agatha Christie title did you select? The Tuesday Club Murders and The Secret Adversary are among my favorites. Have a lovely weekend.

Barbara Rogers said...

Just missing your post this morning! Hope to see you back in another fun selfie soon!~

Vicki Lane said...

The selfies are always fun--the virus is not. I think our president's plan is to let all the people--older, minorities, invalids, etc--who cost the government money die out.