Sunday, July 19, 2020

I Would Fain Open the Windows

During most heat waves, we are able to turn off the AC (the other AC) at some point in the night and open the windows as the temperature descends to somewhat more moderate levels. In this current oppression, which will last for about 4 days, the slight and fleeting abatement just doesn't seem to be worth it.

So, although I would have fain opened the windows last night, I didn't.

Unfortunately, however, the fan wasn't reaching me in bed last night, and I wasn't exactly comfortable. We have no ceiling fan in the bedroom which was designed without said facility for some inexplicable reason. But there is one in my little den, so I headed there and eventually got almost 6 hours sleep in my chair. I can be comfortable in my chair, so don't feel sorry for me over that.

I would fain sleep in my chair with some relief than in my bed without any.

Fain: I am using it deliberately because it is dictionary.com's word of the day.


Although I see such entries daily, I have yet to post about one, as far as I can recall. This is different, however, for it brings to mind an old hymn which, I don't think, has previously surfaced from the deeper recesses of my memory banks.

But this morning, I am remembering this:
Beneath the cross of Jesus
I fain would take my stand,
I looked up the words to verify my recollection, but my memory was spot on.

Back in the day, I sang this in deep reverence, but here's the thing. I didn't know the meaning of fain. What it means in the hymn is that I would joyously/willingly identify with and stand with Jesus. I guess that I always knew the general implication but, I never stopped to consider the specific meaning of the word.

The first link that I clicked to double-check the lyrics wasn't right. I guess fain is such an archaic word that they adapted the lyrics.
Beneath the cross of Jesus/ I find a place to stand,
Of course, that alteration diminishes the beauty and poetry of the original and does not connote quite the same meaning. But I guess since no one knows the actual meaning anyway, it doesn't matter.

Although I no longer attend church, the church music of my youth is powerful within me; songs and hymns frequently resurface and bring with them their often poignant feelings. I almost routinely sing these pieces mentally and sometimes audibly.

I do not sing out loud as often as I used to, for, although I never possessed a great voice, it has even diminished over time, and I hear my notes wavering in and out, and I am displeased..

How synchronous that this hymn would flood into my consciousness on a Sunday morning.

Here is a recording of the hymn for the record. 




15 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I used to sing in the choir...then allergies and COPD stopped me - my voice morphed quickly into frog. I don't think I've ever used the word fain...so that' a good challenge.

Mara said...

I have heard you speak several times and always thought you would be a great singer, as your voice is so nice.
My dad is in several choirs and since March they have been stopped. He is really noticing the difference in his voice now and it needs training up again.

Margaret said...

I love to sing, and used to be fairly decent, within my limited vocal range. However, my voice is weaker now, so I have the same issue you do. I felt sorry for you sleeping in your chair, but it must be comfortable if you can get that much rest. It cools down a lot at night where I live, so I usually just have a fan and the window open when it's hot. (no central a/c) However, here in NY I'm using the air conditioning liberally. I'm a cool sleeper and can't sleep when I'm hot. I also have to sleep with at least a sheet over me for protection from monsters and such.

Shammickite said...

I am familiar with the word fain and it's meaning and I have been racking my brains to remember where I have heard it. If I remember I'll let you know.

gigi-hawaii said...

That is a beautiful hymn. The music is what I miss about not going to church. Some church music you can't hear anywhere else but in church.

Marie Smith said...

What a beautiful choir. The hymn was perfect for this morning. I needed it.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Very nice hymn....When I was a child I said the first two verses of this poem(didn't know until today there were more verses) as a prayer. It includes the word "fain". https://www.storyit.com/Classics/JustPoems/gentleJesus.htm

Jenn Jilks said...

I hear you about the fan. I am loathe to keep the A/C on overnight, but it's been dire!

I have similar feelings about the church and singing. Too many politics amongst so-called Christians.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We are also having a heat wave here in Nashua, NH, so I would fain not open any windows now!

Vicki Lane said...

I'm familiar with fain from (probably ) Shakespeare. I fain would incorporate it into my daily speech.

Hot times are no times to be sharing a bed-- as I said to our large dog when she tried to join me last night. No AC here but a ceiling fan and a small fan directed at the bed.

MARY G said...

I don't think we ever lose those pieces of childhood. Speaking of archaisms, there is also 'fane', the noun, meaning a holy place or place of worship.
We have a fan in the bedroom. Worth a retrofit, if you can find someone to do it. The line of storm just went by here, but did not leave us enough rain.

DJan said...

I love old words like that. Although you hear them occasionally, sometimes I have to look them up so I can make sure I know they are being used properly. We are just now beginning to enter our warm part of the summer, it's been perfect until yesterday and today. I don't do well in the heat. :-(

Rita said...

I grinned when I read your title. Such a sweet little word. I do enjoy archaic words like fain. I am not sure where I first read it but I know it was as a teenager or young adult when I used to read old stories and poetry with a dictionary next to me..for fun, mind you--LOL!

Been a heatwave here, too--but a storm went through and we have had a break today! In the 70s! Whoohoo! Beats the 90s. I have had to have the AC on all night, too. Fresh air today has been a blessing. :)

Haddock said...

Even though I have heard fain many times, I could not exactly put my finger on the correct meaning.

Red said...

I never thought of the word "fain" so I imagine that three were many hymns that I did not have a clear meaning. Yes hymns from a long time ago do pop into my memory.