Saturday, July 04, 2020

By the Dawn's Early Light

I just stumbled onto the title, By the Dawn's Early Light, as an afterthought, but it is July 4th, so I send warm wishes to my American friends,

Yesterday, I posted photos that were taken a few minutes apart in an almost drive-by shooting although I certainly parked and got out of the car for a few moments.

Today, I'll post the earlier photos from the spot where I lingered for about an hour.

I had taken earlier photos, but this is the first one that I kept, which I show only because it is part of the narrative. It was ~4:30, and I was beginning to see some effects from the sun getting closer to the horizon. But it was still a long way from actually having risen, as it were.


About a half hour later, close to 5 o'clock, I was seeing more light and colour.


About 15 minutes later, it was very close to actual sunrise. This is my favourite photo of the session, and the only one that I really like. Just like the later photos that I posted yesterday, the barn was my best photo. I like the subdued orange of most of the sky contrasted by the blue cloud to the right.


Just a few minutes later, the light and clouds were quite interesting.


My final photo before moving on to the photos that you saw yesterday was of the OVRT, Ottawa Valley Recreational Trail. It was an active railway line when we first moved here 15 years ago, but the trains stopped running a few years later. A few years ago, before my knees began to protest too much, Sue and I cycled from town to this spot. It's only ~6km.


A map of the trail, which goes from Arnprior to Smiths Falls and quite possibly connects to other trails beyond.





21 comments:

William Kendall said...

Beautiful!

Marcia said...

When you get up early to photograph do you pack yourself a breakfast and coffee?
I think your waiting time paid off for you.

Vicki Lane said...

What a beautiful sequencee! I wish I were better about getting upp early . . .

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely photos of a time of day I miss regularly. It is beautiful and serene.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Thank you for your good wishes. These photos are beautiful. I liked the second one because it made me think of scenes in a book where the author might try to describe this. It could be romantic, but it might also be someone fleeing from danger and trying to hide or get to safety. It is going to be a very quiet fourth of July...Almost my favorite kind.

Anvilcloud said...

I have sometimes taken coffee but not this time. I was home by 6 or so.

Should Fish More said...

Your post title is a fairly good movie, btw.

DJan said...

Did you tiptoe out of bed and then sneak out the front door? I cannot imagine that your partner was awake at that hour. But what do I know? :-)

Margaret said...

Thank you! I'm hoping for a calm 4th but from what I've been hearing for the past week...That barn photo is my favorite; it's so serene. I also love the dramatic sky and colors. Impressive!

gigi-hawaii said...

The sky is spectacular. Love the colors.

Anvilcloud said...

Yes. I did tiptoe. I have a thing that I throw on the floor to let her know that I'm out if she gets up and I'm not here.

Mara said...

Here our sunrises are covered by rain and clouds. And sunsets aren't much better at the moment!

Marie Smith said...

My husband is an early riser too though he doesn’t go on photo shoots. Great photos as always AC.

Tabor said...

Some day I will drive or fly out that way and see that beautiful countryside.

Mage said...

I'll come with Tabor. :) Personally, I like the shot with all the color, then again, I'm a colorist.

Joanne Noragon said...

And my very favorites are the first and last.

The Liberty Belle said...

Lovely photographs. I really like the 5am photo. Thank you for sharing.

Red said...

The experienced eye sees all the changes in light and then finds out how to deal with them

Rita said...

You do get some beautiful photos! :)

dellgirl said...

Oh WOW these photos are absolutely beautiful! You always do such a wonderful job on your photo projects. I love these photos! Thanks for sharing the beauty.

Wishing you a great weekend, my friend! Stay Safe!

Kerry said...

You sure are an early riser! 6 AM is early enough for me; if I would try a little harder maybe I could pics like these. Wonderful!