Friday, July 24, 2020

Seniorizing

As I wandered the grocery store in my blue-green tartan cap and my red and white mask, which was festooned with maple leaves, I noticed something.

(Noticing something, anything, is rather a feat in itself as I am usually almost lost in my very personal reveries.)

I had already been to and fro in the produce and bakery section and was sauntering down the adjacent aisle of health foods etc when I noticed it.

The only reason I was in that particular aisle was to get to the next aisle — pet food for beloved Lacey who wakes me so lovingly at 2:30 — because I had been at the wrong end of the one-way access. I mean, why else would I be in the health food zone? There are no salty snacks or gooey desserts to be found there.

To make a short story long, which is what I have been doing so far, I noticed that I was humming behind and into my mask. Furthermore, I realized that I had likely been humming ever since I had entered the store and possibly before for all I know.

I noticed the same thing later in the pop aisle.

(And why is there no caffeine free diet coke anymore? I ask.)

I am being somewhat serious when I say that I suspect that this propensity might be related to my seniorizing brain although if it is a sign of seniorizing, I have been in this state for a long time, for I am a hummer, albeit a hummer sans wings..

Seniorizing is my newly coined word. Feel at liberty to use it.

Wait a cotton pickin second! Spellcheck isn't flagging seniorizing. Don't tell me it's an actual word and that I didn't just invent it!

Shot down in flames, I am.

I hope you have a HUMdinger of a day and weekend.

15 comments:

MARY G said...

Seriously?

PipeTobacco said...

:) Very fun ! I tend to catch myself humming and whistling without knowing it too.

PipeTobacco

DJan said...

I enjoy hearing people humming along as they shop. It's a nice sound. I don't but I know others who do that, too. :-)

Vicki Lane said...

Hum on, AC! The world could do with a nice soothing sound like that.

Should Fish More said...

Tinnitus?

gigi-hawaii said...

My mother in law hummed all the time. It drove everybody crazy.

Barbara Rogers said...

Excellent...we still have (at least last month when I was still drinking soda pop) diet caffeine free Coke. Sorry you didn't find anything in the health food section (I like granola bars usually!) I've certainly done the run down one aisle to just get to the one I really want to be in. But I don't hum any more. It triggers bad things, like coughing. Drat. You'll have to do my share...

Anvilcloud said...

Yes, tinnitus.
A sign? A cause?

Marcia said...

Yep. It's a word. Definition found: (rare) To make or become senior.

Marie Smith said...

The chore involving the grocery store is one I hate since Covid. The arrows in the aisles are frustrating when you mostly shop the perimeter and may have one other aisle to traverse. I am to the point of attempting a quick dash the wrong way without the cart especially if there isn’t anyone in the aisle. I hum as I go too.

Joanne Noragon said...

Well then, the same to you.

Red said...

You gave us a humdinger of a word...seniorizing!

Rita said...

I think I'd like to hear someone humming as they shopped. Be a pleasant distraction. :)

dellgirl said...

Okay, I like seniorizing. Thanks for introducing me to it, since I do a bit of that myself. One of my things though is, whenever I hear an old favorite song playing on the loud speaker I sometimes want to stop and cut a step or two. I don't though because I don't want to be hauled off to the "looney-bin" in a strait jacket.

Margaret said...

I've become more auditory as I age, including talking to myself. Perhaps humming is a bit like that--a sort of comfort ritual for us seniors. I like the word seniorizing. My computer flagged the spelling and wants me to change it to senior zing. LOL