Monday, July 13, 2020

Blue Hour Revisited

One might recall this ↓ photo which I posted less than a week ago. I had gone for a short walk after a hot day, and just for a walk sans camera.


But when I saw the iPhone photo, I decided that it was worth another visit with my actual photo gear. I wanted a similar photo with more clouds.

Saturday evening gave me that opportunity, and I took a similar photo from a similar spot on the bridge.


It is a 5 second exposure and is close to what I wanted although the clouds could be even more dramatic. I can keep looking and watching the sky this summer and return there fairly easily.

In fact, I plan to do just that using other focal lengths. I hadn't thought that a wide angle shot would work until I saw the previous iPhone result, but I would like to get town hall larger in future. But then I will miss the foreground rapids. There's always a tradeoff.

One reader asked me about blue hour, for he hadn't heard about it before, but it is familiar to photographers, not that we necessarily use it a lot.

Blue hour is the time after sunset but before the sky turns black. Photographers tend to chase sunset or sunrise photos, but blue hour can also be special.

That ↑ was the photo that I went for, and I am very happy with it, but as almost an afterthought, I took a landscape orientation photo a little farther along the bridge. If possible, I think I like it even more. It processed slight darker, at least in the lower half, and is a little more saturated overall.


So yeah, I think I'll return from time to time with different focal lengths and see how it goes.

Meanwhile, I am very happy with these results.

10 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The blue hour creates some lovely photos, but then it is also the talent of the photographer as well. These images are captivating, John.

Marie Smith said...

I love the middle photo with the water in the foreground. All are beautiful. You have an eye for the blue hour photos AC.

Barbara Rogers said...

You're the expert...but now I want to see more detail in a bit lighter shots - I may never be satisfied, fair warning!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

These are so intense. I really like them!

gigi-hawaii said...

I didn't know about blue hour and was unaware that there was such a thing after sunset. It just goes to show how unobservant I am.

Margaret said...

Blue is my favorite color, and I love the ambiance of these shots. I think the landscape orientation is my favorite also. I'm no expert so I can't tell you why. Perfect framing of the items in the photo?

DJan said...

They are wonderful. I like them both, but you're right: there's something special about that last one. :-)

PipeTobacco said...

I do love that “Blue Hour” phrase! The photos are striking!

PipeTobacco

Jenn Jilks said...

I really wish I had the patience to learn all this.
I continue to enjoy your photos!
We have A/C! I'm so happy!

Rita said...

I had never heard of the blue hour but I knew it like the back of my had as soon as I heard it. Lovely and you captured it well. :)