Thursday, July 23, 2020

Not Much on this Thursday

It's a rainy day here but how much I don't know, maybe just off and on sprinkles. We have cancelled our standard Thursday coffee date in the park, however.

I will most likely do a grocery shopping today, but, after last night, it won't be as early as I would prefer to go. I was awake with intestinal cramps for awhile in the middle of the night and, therefore, slept in a bit this morning.

Slept in for me, I mean. It's still not quite 8, but I am feeling very sluggish. I would normally be at the store for the 8 o'clock opening. Of course, when  say normal, I am just describing the practice in the past few weeks, and not necessarily my traditional, pre-COVID normal.


This photo ↓ has been making the rounds lately comparing the American and Canadian boats at Niagara Falls during COVID. The Canadian boat  allowed only a small number of occupants. Of course, now we are in phase 3, it may be different, but what a contrast at the time!


Now that we are in phase 3, the number of new cases has been rising — see the uptick in the black line on the bottom right. Hopefully, it won't get out of hand.


It is the younger people who are contracting the virus in greater numbers in Ontario. The 20-60 groups have greater numbers than the over 60s. Of course, death rates would look very different as they are quite high in the 80+ group. One particularly worries about the 20-40 group these days as they are the ones who gather in greater density in bars and such and who also seem to take fewer precautions.


It's not much, I know, but that's all that I have for today.

14 comments:

MARY G said...

We heard an interview with the guy who runs the Canadian low number boat. Niagara was still in stage 2 so that was an expensive 'VIP' cruise. He is going to be able to go up to I think he said about 70 people this week. He will still lose money but is running anyway. Nice interview.

Barbara Rogers said...

Good to see you smiling though the makeup is a bit over the top. Sorry about the cramps...I know how that feels and of course you couldn't sleep. I just was anxious about all I have to do today (appointments) so woke at 5 and couldn't get back to sleep. Ugh. I hope you feel better. Your Covid stats are interesting. stay safe.

DJan said...

We are still in Phase 2 and not ready to move forward any time soon. We woke in the middle of the night with two of our smoke alarms chirping at us. Sigh. :-)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I know which boat I would be riding on.

gigi-hawaii said...

We must never assume that we won't catch the virus. It's everywhere so we must be vigilant.

Tabor said...

I hope we do not drop our vigilance here in the US. We are aflame with the virus and because it affects people so differently, we do not know how to be worried!

William Kendall said...

A pretty good case for keeping the border closed.

Joanne Noragon said...

I wear my mask and that's the limit of my involvement right now.

Marie Smith said...

We are down to two active cases again after a recent outbreak of nine.

Take care AC.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Wearing my mask and going nowhere except a few family events. We have mandatory masks again in Ohio and my county has just gone down in Covid 19 statistics so we are not in the higher risk categories anymore. But somehow, it is still very discouraging.

Nice selfies, though always amazing. I don't really understand how this is done.

Margaret said...

In these days full of worrisome news, I look forward to your fun selfies. Our stats are discouraging, and people are still idiots. (and will remain so, since many have been brainwashed by right wing news) It's extremely upsetting and terrifying. Sorry about the cramps. Something you ate?

Mage said...

I bought some day-of-the-dead fabric and made a couple of masks. Better than the endless blue.

Rita said...

Sadly, I certainly believe the contrast in those boats.
Great selfie. :)
Stomach cramps are no fun. Hope you feel better now.

Mara said...

The exact same thing is happening here: the younger generation seem to catch it now due to their belief 'it won't be so serious, so we can all sit tightly together in a closed off room'. So, the numbers are on the up again and unless the younger generation get as sick as the older generation already does...